T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm very new to this but have found soo much helpful information here. Anyway, just a couple of quick qestions....I'm looking at different companies to buy my blanks from. I keep seeing 5.5 oz and 6 oz etc, etc T-shirts. Can someone please help explain the difference in quality of these shirts and is 100 % preshrunk any better (or worse) than 50/50? What are ya'lls preferences and/or have worked well for you? Also, researching the different types of software and am leaning towards Corel. My husband has a buddy that does metal fabrication and such that uses Flexi 8.5. Anyone ever heard of this or use it? How well would it work for us, if at all? Thanks in advance!:)

· Registered
1,930 Posts
Re: Just a couple of quick questions

I keep seeing 5.5 oz and 6 oz etc, etc T-shirts. Can someone please help explain the difference in quality of these shirts
The quality will depend on the brand you buy. The only difference between 5.5 oz and 6 oz is the weight ... 5.5 oz is a little lighter.

and is 100 % preshrunk any better (or worse) than 50/50? What are ya'lls preferences and/or have worked well for you?
That's just personal preference but I prefer 100% preshrunk. Your method of decoration will help determine which is best. Are you heat pressing using transfer paper? Some people prefer the 50/50 because the threads lay down better after peeling, making the print appear more vivid.

Also, researching the different types of software and am leaning towards Corel. My husband has a buddy that does metal fabrication and such that uses Flexi 8.5. Anyone ever heard of this or use it? How well would it work for us, if at all? Thanks in advance!:)
Can't help you there ... I use Illustrator. :)

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

The quality will depend on the brand you buy. The only difference between 5.5 oz and 6 oz is the weight ... 5.5 oz is a little lighter.

What are the better brands? I've heard alot about american apparel. My brother-in-law gets his company shirts with the jerzees brand but after several washes they lose shape. So, I'm not sure about using them. idk.

That's just personal preference but I prefer 100% preshrunk. Your method of decoration will help determine which is best. Are you heat pressing using transfer paper? Some people prefer the 50/50 because the threads lay down better after peeling, making the print appear more vivid.

I will be using a heat press so should I use the 50/50? I would prefer the 100 percent preshrunk but I want to have the best quality shirt possible.

Can't help you there ... I use Illustrator. :)
Haha. Well, I do appreciate the advice given above!

· Registered
8,807 Posts

I did not know that Flex 8 was for graphic design/print/transfer...maybe it does..I thought it was just for vinyl cutting...but then I have never used it. I Have both Corel X3 and Illustrator CS3... I personally prefer Corel..more bang for your buck and there are lots of free tutorials with the cd and on line and on youtube

· Registered
1,930 Posts

What are the better brands? I've heard alot about american apparel. My brother-in-law gets his company shirts with the jerzees brand but after several washes they lose shape. So, I'm not sure about using them. idk.
I don't like American Apparel but a lot of folks here do. I think their shirts are too thin. I use Alstyle and Gildan Ultra Cotton.

I will be using a heat press so should I use the 50/50? I would prefer the 100 percent preshrunk but I want to have the best quality shirt possible.
I've read that JetPro SofStretch (a.k.a. JPSS) tends to look better on 50/50 but you might want to do a search and see if you can find some threads about it. That is, if you are planning on using JPSS (and you should! ;)).

· Registered
468 Posts

I think American Apparel is the best shirt you can buy and a lot of people agree with me. It also depends what your market is because American Apparel and Tultex are fitted tees and if you have a street wear line those just won't work.

Get a resale license with the county and get wholesale shirts. Order all the different brands of shirts and make up your own mind.

For my company I decided to pay the extra money and use AA, they seriously are the best shirts you can by in my opinion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.