T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Well, after spending countless hours, lots of ink, and lots of paper, I was finally able to get my GX-24 to get a semi-clean cut from the JPSS transfer paper without any backing. I'll fine tune my cuts tomorrow, but in the meantime, I'm curious on which portion to weed.

I read through the threads where people used magic mask and other carriers with JPSS, but I printed straight to the JPSS paper and then using the lowest cutter force, cut down through the first layer of the paper. So now, do I weed everything but my artwork and press normally and peel, or do I treat it like an opaque transfer and pull my artwork from the paper and press with some type of teflon over it. This is the JetProSoftStretch for Light colors paper.

This is my last step before my first press!! ....Getting a little excited.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I would first like to say if you search youtube or maybe even the Imprintables website,I think there are some videos. If your using light paper, you weed of the excess and press as you normally would a light transfer. If you use a teflon sheet to cover the transfer, I would add a couple of seconds to the dwell time to compensate. .... JB

·
Registered
938 Posts
WTG Joe!

Press the shirt around 5 seconds with a teflon sheet over it and before applying the transfer to remove moisture. Then, after you have removed the unwanted paper from the pressed transfer, press again another 5 seconds with a teflon sheet over both the transfer and shirt.

Btw, here are the JPSS instructions for Light:

• Trim away the unprinted areas of the transfer if desired

• Place the transfer on top of the garment with image side down

• Press 30 seconds at 375 F using heavy pressure

• Remove paper while still hot

Let us know how it worked out for you.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice...my first thought was to weed away the excess and press and peel the whole paper normally, but when I saw the slideshow doing it this way... JoshEllsworth's slideshow on Flickr
...I wasn't sure which method was correct. In the slide show, it looks like he weeds the artwork out of the paper and then presses the artwork and peels.

JB: "If you use a teflon sheet to cover the transfer, I would add a couple of seconds to the dwell time to compensate."

If heat transfers for lights are pressed faced down, is there a reason why some people still use teflon even though it's not necessary? I understand why to use it on opaques, but I notice some people still "re-cover" over the light paper.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Some people use the teflon sheet as protection. The teflon sheet keeps the heat platen and the transfer from toouching and keeps any ink from getting on it. Ink normally doesn't cause a issue, this is just as a precaution. ... JB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts