T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After working about 9 months on getting this company started I finally launched it. It is a shop/online community similar to threadless.com but also allowing members to vote on themes for shirts. The site is located at http://www.gohedonist.com . I was wondering what t-shirt pros think of the site/concept/look and if anyone has any tips? Since I'm 18 and put the cash I had saved up into this co.. i rather learn from others mistakes, not my own.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
If you’re selling shirts… 80% of your site is graphics, all of which have nothing to do with the shirts you sell?

That’s just for starters!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,970 Posts
ph0yce said:
Wow, that site is excellent.
I especially like their flash icons, with the price labels etc.


Thinking of a way to steal it in the least obvious fashion possible :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess the reason why I'm not hardcore advertising it on the site is because I'm trying to start a community, and currently I only have one design out. Also being 18.. I'm not in a real hurry to make money, but rather to build up a brand.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,512 Posts
statc said:
I guess the reason why I'm not hardcore advertising it on the site is because I'm trying to start a community, and currently I only have one design out. Also being 18.. I'm not in a real hurry to make money, but rather to build up a brand.
That's all well and good, but if people can't see the purpose of your site and aren't drawn in you won't succeed at building a community or a brand. You need to build a brand by being desirable - people seem to think that merely existing for long enough is enough. It isn't.

Advertising is basically another word for visual communication - it just happens to usually have a commercial purpose. Even if you aren't trying to make your fortune you still need to use it to your advantage.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,512 Posts
monkeylantern said:
I especially like their flash icons, with the price labels etc.
From the user point of view I've always hated defunker's site. For some reason it is very very slow to load (extremely!), and then it puts all these designs in my face without the ability to open them all up into tabs (damn flash!) so I can actually look through them more efficiently. Then if I actually want to look at a design... sloooooow. I don't know if it's their server, or if their code is bloated or what, but it always takes way longer than a site of that design on this connection should take to load.

It does look good if I give them the time, but since literally everything on there is available elsewhere I never do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Solmu said:
From the user point of view I've always hated defunker's site. For some reason it is very very slow to load (extremely!), and then it puts all these designs in my face without the ability to open them all up into tabs (damn flash!) so I can actually look through them more efficiently. Then if I actually want to look at a design... sloooooow. I don't know if it's their server, or if their code is bloated or what, but it always takes way longer than a site of that design on this connection should take to load.

It does look good if I give them the time, but since literally everything on there is available elsewhere I never do.
time to upgrade to cable/dsl? maybe a t1 line? hahaha jk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
I agree with what Solmu had to say bout this... I see so many labels that are somewhat like mine. Monarch Generation, Monarchy.... all having to deal with some type heiracy... but the thing is even though they sell, they are a trend and will die. For me its a lifestyle label... everything that I will produce will be apart of someones lifestyle. So they will definitely buy into the label. The thing with me is, even though I can output creatively and design wise (semi)... I bank on my Marketing abilities.. being able to sell ideas that people will buy into. I love it! Make sure you set yourself apart from other Hedonist shirt designers, because anyone can make a t-shirt company. Easy yet hard.. but its what you do with it that seperates you from everyone else! But hey if you want to make money then sell sell sell, but if you want to achieve something you'll be proud with in the end... work on building up following. I've launched the concept of my idea to my friends and general public on my 21st bithday and look two months later I was asked to design/print shirts up for Haylie Duffs (Hilary Duffs sisters) 21st birthday. The only thing killing me is my ecommerce and its getting done this week. I dont like to usually outsource my work, there's no fun in it. But, sometime you have to bite the bullet. I'll have my shopping cart done by this weekend or next. Just keep strong build the demand...and then you can enjoy everything that comes with it after.

CHEERS AND BEST WISHES IN 06

-sir.d

Solmu said:
That's all well and good, but if people can't see the purpose of your site and aren't drawn in you won't succeed at building a community or a brand. You need to build a brand by being desirable - people seem to think that merely existing for long enough is enough. It isn't.

Advertising is basically another word for visual communication - it just happens to usually have a commercial purpose. Even if you aren't trying to make your fortune you still need to use it to your advantage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,970 Posts
I'm avidly awaiting a post from you that doesn't include some clanging reference to drinking cocktails with Hilary Duff or waxing the back of Hugh Hefner ;P
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What am I doing bad in my approach to drawing people? And how is my site not being desirable? People I've spoken to seem to think the Cult idea is a great and effective and enjoy the fact that I'm trying to use my young age and fun lovin attitude to my advange?
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top