T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got a chance to try out my Jet Pro Soft Stretch inkjet paper for Lights in my Canon PIXMA MP970 using dye inks. I really like the Canon software "T-Shirt Transfer" setting that automatically reversed the image because I sure forgot to! ;)

I have not done a wash test as of yet, but my first graphic looks decent (attached). I did a hot peel on this graphic and used the image only for testing. I tried another graphic after this one by doing the stretching techniques and cold peel. Looks nice too but I'll see if it washes differently than the hot peel.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
The image looks great, can't wait to see the wash test results. :)

One thing I want to mention, Ms. Blue, is don't forget to give the cold peel a "second heating" with teflon before washing. Everyone who skipped the second heating ended up with cracked images.

Rhonda discovered the second heating eliminates that issue on cold peel shirts.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The image looks great, can't wait to see the wash test results. :)

One thing I want to mention, Ms. Blue, is don't forget to give the cold peel a "second heating" with teflon before washing. Everyone who skipped the second heating ended up with cracked images.

Rhonda discovered the second heating eliminates that issue on cold peel shirts.
Cool, thanks! I actually did that and plan to wash it tomorrow evening (I'm waiting to show it to a friend who wanted to see it before washing).

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Well, alright! :D Good luck to you, Ms. Blue, and thank you for sharing your tests. I am especially interested to find out if the ink in this Canon does as well as my Pixma 4000 did, so very cool! :)

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I can't wit to see the results. I've been thinking of experiment with my HP printer. My wife likes HP better than Epson for ink consumption. .... JB

·
Registered
985 Posts
Yeah, these freaking Epson's sure are thirsty!
I never went thru ink like this with my Canon. WOW.
Lucky you guys ! I never used anything but Epson for my printing needs. I've just received the refillable cartridges for my Epson 2200 and my Epson 960 !! Cheap ink with yellow for heat transfer :D !!!
Kelly, the re-press applies to cool peel only or to hot peel too?

Ms. Blue thank you for sharing it.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Lucky you guys ! I never used anything but Epson for my printing needs.
That's probably a good thing, Marcelo. My Canon shirts did fade, but that was before JPSS was on the market. If I only used JPSS, I would have no problem staying with my Canon. :)

marcelolopez said:
I've just received the refillable cartridges for my Epson 2200 and my Epson 960 !! Cheap ink with yellow for heat transfer :D !!!
Hey, good luck with this, Marcelo. Cool! I hope the install goes smoothly. Where did you buy from?

marcelolopez said:
Kelly, the re-press applies to cool peel only or to hot peel too?
The re-press is a must on "cold peel".

For hot peel, some folks do skip the re-press. But --> giving the shirt/image a "stretch" while hot seems to be proving a necessary step.

Seems posts on cracking with a hot peel are turning out to be folks who are not stretching the shirt after a hot peel.

Seems posts on cracking with a cold peel are turning out to be folks not re-heating the image a second time.

In all cases with JPSS, it seems giving the image a stretch while still warm/hot is the best thing to do to prevent cracking.

The web gets more tangled all the time, wouldn't ya say? :rolleyes::)

Good to see ya, Marcelo. Have a nice night. :)

·
Registered
985 Posts
Hey, good luck with this, Marcelo. Cool! I hope the install goes smoothly. Where did you buy from?
I bought it from injetcarts.us
Ross treat customers very well :)

The re-press is a must on "cold peel".

For hot peel, some folks do skip the re-press. But --> giving the shirt/image a "stretch" while hot seems to be proving a necessary step.

Seems posts on cracking with a hot peel are turning out to be folks who are not stretching the shirt after a hot peel.

Seems posts on cracking with a cold peel are turning out to be folks not re-heating the image a second time.

In all cases with JPSS, it seems giving the image a stretch while still warm/hot is the best thing to do to prevent cracking.
Thank you.
I should have searched the forums for an answer, but I saw your post, and I could not resist to ask you :D:D
Getting lazier with age :)

Have a good night.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
I bought it from injetcarts.us
Ross treat customers very well :)
Ok, I do hear great things about him (usually, almost always). This is where Melissa got her carts. I hear Ross puts alot of effort into helping after the sale. That is so important. Thanks for letting me know it was Ross. :)

marcelolopez said:
Thank you.
I should have searched the forums for an answer, but I saw your post, and I could not resist to ask you :D:D Getting lazier with age :)Have a good night.
What?? Nonsense! Haha, you can always ask me, Marcelo... I plan to ask you instead of using the search button, lol. I know you always do your research... but tis the beauty of having friends on the forum -- being indulged, haha.

You have a great night, too. You are cracking me up! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've started making some heat transfers with my canon.. used cheap copy inks.. and from my research only the black is a pigment ink on the originals.

I used superstretch transfer paper.

And I must say initial results are amazing, but after washing ( 2 times currently) It lost allot of vibrance.

Can anyone point me to pigment inks for Canon ix5000 ( cli-8 inks )?

Are the original dyes better for heat transfers?
Are the original cli-8 inks UV resistant?

·
Registered
64 Posts
[One thing I want to mention, Ms. Blue, is don't forget to give the cold peel a "second heating" with teflon before washing. Everyone who skipped the second heating ended up with cracked images.

[/quote]

how long should you do the "second heating with teflon before washing"?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hey custom, just to let you know, this thread is really old. Try posting your question in the printers section. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hi Natasha, try about 5 seconds on the second press and adjust as needed.

Reactions: Girlzndollz

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
how long should you do the "second heating with teflon before washing"?
With a cold peel, once the shirt and transfer cool, you'd peel it then.

AFter you peel it, place a teflon sheet over the image area. Cover it completely because any exposed areas will mess up your upper platen on your press. Yuk.

Reheating the image area post-peel should be okay for 5 t0 8 seconds. Then peel the teflon hot. Good to go.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
I've started making some heat transfers with my canon.. used cheap copy inks.. and from my research only the black is a pigment ink on the originals.

I used superstretch transfer paper.

And I must say initial results are amazing, but after washing ( 2 times currently) It lost allot of vibrance.

Can anyone point me to pigment inks for Canon ix5000 ( cli-8 inks )?

Are the original dyes better for heat transfers?
Are the original cli-8 inks UV resistant?
For Canon pigment inks for your printer, you can google "Canon pigment ink" AND your printer model number. That's what I do with any of my 5 printers and suppliers come up.

You can - if you want to - then come back here and put those suppliers into the search box to see if anyone here has used them.

You can also search here for "pigment canon" and if anyone has talked about using pigment ink in their canon printer, and maybe their supplier, the thread will come up.

For specification on the UV capabilities, etc, I would go to the Canon site for ink and look at the specs sheet.

I have used Canon dye ink with JPSS (jetprosoftstretch paper) and not had any fade but there is one more variable that will totally make a difference, your blank shirt.

I tested over a dozen blanks to find the most color fast one.

Keeping the ink, press and paper the same, and changing the blank, .... results went all over the place, from faded, to faded irregularly, to super colorfast, even when bleached 12 times.

Testing is the best. Than you know. Good luck to you. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
With a cold peel, once the shirt and transfer cool, you'd peel it then.

AFter you peel it, place a teflon sheet over the image area. Cover it completely because any exposed areas will mess up your upper platen on your press. Yuk.

Reheating the image area post-peel should be okay for 5 t0 8 seconds. Then peel the teflon hot. Good to go.

thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you.. I did research a bit. I'll start experimenting with other blanks. Currently trying to get a hold of some Continental organics.

I reached an ink supplier telling me my printer dosnt support pigment inks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts