T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the difference between Jet Opaque, Jet Opaque 2 and 3G jet Opaque? In what way, if any, does the printer/ink or material used to transfer on factor in to how they are different? Is there any difference in how difficult they are to cut out around the image?

I have some samples of Jet Opaque 2 and it says to 'Make sure to select the proper media setting from the print menu' - what exactly does that mean? Do I need to change anything from how I print on JPSS? And it also says to heat press with covering image with silicone paper. Does parchment paper with a silicone coating work for that?

Thanks! New to all of this.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Wish I could help, but I have similar questions for all those experienced printers out there.

I ordered the sample pack from Costal, and have printed a number of shirts successfully using 3G Opaque, JPSS, and some no name transfer paper I received with T-Shirt Factory. All have worked beautifully.

My question to the very experienced out there is, like the OP asked;

** What is the difference in the 3G Opaque as compared with other Opaque papers, even Costals other offering, Inkjet Opaque? What are the differrences and which do you think the most user friendly?

** What is the standard paper being used out there for lights, JPSS or something else? There seem to be many choices, what do you guys feel is the most process friendly?

Now, I am not so much interested in how the transfer lasts after washes and all that as much as just ease of use in the transfer process and quality immediately after printing.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got my samples of Jet Opaque 2 from Coastal. I don't quite understand some of the directions, so I guess I'll call them tomorrow and ask.

I'm obviously not an expert but from what I can tell on light fabrics people seem to like JPSS the best.

·
Registered
142 Posts
What's the difference between Jet Opaque, Jet Opaque 2 and 3G jet Opaque? In what way, if any, does the printer/ink or material used to transfer on factor in to how they are different? Is there any difference in how difficult they are to cut out around the image?

I have some samples of Jet Opaque 2 and it says to 'Make sure to select the proper media setting from the print menu' - what exactly does that mean? Do I need to change anything from how I print on JPSS? And it also says to heat press with covering image with silicone paper. Does parchment paper with a silicone coating work for that?

The proper media setting means the paper type, which varies (like everything else.) You don't want to flood the transfer with ink, and some papers' instructions are pretty specific about this point. I have been using a setting on my Epson called "premium matte paper", because the transfers are matte. It made sense to me, and it turned out great. I accidentally printed on plain paper a few times, and while I can't say I noticed a huge difference, I play it safe. Again, several manufacturers' instruction sheets have stipulated that plain paper is fine. You have to experiment, though.

The other settings have to do with, I guess, resolution, though Epson's drivers call it print quality. I always use Photo. I used Fine a few times, and was less happy.

Parchment with silicone works just as well, yes. Just make sure you don't forget to place it over your darks, or you'll have a horrible mess on your platen. Not that I would know.

To me, 3G is only a tiny bit better quality that Jet 2, in terms of color and wash, but it is thinner and softer. It also curls up like the devil when you're placing it, so move fast. It's easy to cut as long as your blade is wicked sharp. I find it dulls blades quickly.

Everybody loves JPSS. I do, too, but I also love Everlast (aka IYA, aka Iron-all), and right now I'm loving Cold Peel, tho it's a tad glossy. For darks also try out IYA/Jet Dark Premium Something. It's even pricier than 3G, and may or may not be better, jury still out.

That's all I've got for now! HTH.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Tried some samples of the Red Grid on white shirts today, ..... turned out very nice.

I agree, in what I have read I see many many posts regarding the JPSS, almost all positive. I am still curious however in why those who have extensive experience like the JPSS over anything else. Where do the others fall short?

·
Registered
120 Posts

I just tried the 3G paper. It is a lot thinner than the others and seems to drape better.
My husband noticed the print looked more vivid and after some coparing I agree. Also the 3G paper is matte finish.(unless you use a teflon sheet )
my customer complain about the plastic look with the dark transfers and thats why we ordered the
3G paper. I sure it will sell better, altough I dont know how it washes yet

·
Registered
142 Posts
Tried some samples of the Red Grid on white shirts today, ..... turned out very nice.

I agree, in what I have read I see many many posts regarding the JPSS, almost all positive. I am still curious however in why those who have extensive experience like the JPSS over anything else. Where do the others fall short?
They're papery, they crack, they don't stretch, they fade/bleed in the wash, that kind of stuff. One product which shall remain nameless took exactly one bath before it was complete garbage, and it felt like cardboard, too. Some don't even print well beforehand--at least there you're getting a heads-up and don't have to waste a shirt. (Motto: if it looks like crap on the transfer…)

What amazes me about JPSS is that it looks so much like good old fashioned screen printing (not plastisol, but the old, stinky stuff) that it's really hard to tell the difference without a practiced eye. That's what I find incredible about it. That's where the cold peel gets thrown under the bus--that faint sheen spoils the illusion. (But it sure is nice not to get burned.)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Rand! I don't see any settings on mine to choose from, except paper size. Its a Canon Pixma. I'll just leave it like it is - it worked fine with JPSS. I only have two dark sheets to experiment with for now, so I didn't want to ruin one and not get a chance to actually try it.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I may be a little different here..but I'll throw in my two cents worth. I print JPSS on my Canon ipf 8000 wide format printer using ink I get from Ink Jet Carts. The ink is pigmented. I get fantastic results with this paper and ink combination on white shirts. I would like to find a good paper for darks. I have used Alpha Gold and it has a hand that is not very pleasing to me. Otherwise it is OK as far as it goes. I have been thinking of trying the 3G.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Thanks Rand! I don't see any settings on mine to choose from, except paper size. Its a Canon Pixma. I'll just leave it like it is - it worked fine with JPSS. I only have two dark sheets to experiment with for now, so I didn't want to ruin one and not get a chance to actually try it.
I have a Pixma also--there should be a "T-Shirts" setting. The only reason that matters is if you need to flop a right-reading image, as you would with lights. You would *not* use that setting when printing darks, obviously.

My Pixma is a 3600. I love that little guy, but the inks aren't pigment-based, so I had to get an Epson for shirts. I wanted the Pixma ix7000, but it was twice the price. Maybe next time…

·
Registered
142 Posts
I may be a little different here..but I'll throw in my two cents worth. I print JPSS on my Canon ipf 8000 wide format printer using ink I get from Ink Jet Carts. The ink is pigmented. I get fantastic results with this paper and ink combination on white shirts. I would like to find a good paper for darks. I have used Alpha Gold and it has a hand that is not very pleasing to me. Otherwise it is OK as far as it goes. I have been thinking of trying the 3G.
Alpha Gold is the same thing as Jet-Opaque II, IIRC. So 3G is the step up from that by the same maker. You might also try IYA Dark, which is pricey but extremely soft and thin, even more so than 3G. IYA is also sold as Everlast Dark and Iron-All Dark. I found IYA easier to handle than 3G while placing it under the platen, not sure why. What's cheaper, spending less for paper, or ruining fewer transfers? In my case, only time will tell! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just did a shirt with Jet Opaque 2 - and it was incredibly easy! I thought it would be really hard to cut out the design, but I didn't have any problems at all using just regular scissors.

Of course, I still have to wash it. The Jet Opaque 2 I have doesn't give any washing instructions but instructions for just the Jet Opaque says to wash in cold water - so I guess I'll do the same with this.

My canon is just a pixma 610, I called and they told me the inks were pigment and dye - black was one and the colors were the other type I don't remember which was which now.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I just did a shirt with Jet Opaque 2 - and it was incredibly easy! I thought it would be really hard to cut out the design, but I didn't have any problems at all using just regular scissors.

Of course, I still have to wash it. The Jet Opaque 2 I have doesn't give any washing instructions but instructions for just the Jet Opaque says to wash in cold water - so I guess I'll do the same with this.

My canon is just a pixma 610, I called and they told me the inks were pigment and dye - black was one and the colors were the other type I don't remember which was which now.
Your inks are dyes, with one black pigment, just like my Pixma. Only the pricey models use the pigment inks currently. When I washed my Pixma transfers, the results varied quite a bit--I wash my shirts inside out, in warm water, no bleach or fabric softener--and it was obvious that the paper quality had a lot to do with fading and color bleeding. Mostly I noticed that everything was much more yellow, kind of jaundiced-looking. Even so, the JPSS and Jet-Opaque/3G held their color far better than Red Grid or Transjet II. I don't know who makes that stuff, but I think it's garbage. Glad I got it as a freebie!

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi guys. i am a noob to dark transfer but i have printed more than 50 shirts using jetpro ss.

is it just me or is jet opaque 2 harder to peel (from paper before heat transfer) than 3g? i am doing product testing to see which one is better for my small shirt business. and it seems 3g is better in many ways. peeling jet opaque 2 from its paper label just takes much of my time. any technique?

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
The proper media setting means the paper type, which varies (like everything else.) You don't want to flood the transfer with ink, and some papers' instructions are pretty specific about this point. I have been using a setting on my Epson called "premium matte paper", because the transfers are matte. It made sense to me, and it turned out great. I accidentally printed on plain paper a few times, and while I can't say I noticed a huge difference, I play it safe. Again, several manufacturers' instruction sheets have stipulated that plain paper is fine. You have to experiment, though.

The other settings have to do with, I guess, resolution, though Epson's drivers call it print quality. I always use Photo. I used Fine a few times, and was less happy.

Parchment with silicone works just as well, yes. Just make sure you don't forget to place it over your darks, or you'll have a horrible mess on your platen. Not that I would know.

To me, 3G is only a tiny bit better quality that Jet 2, in terms of color and wash, but it is thinner and softer. It also curls up like the devil when you're placing it, so move fast. It's easy to cut as long as your blade is wicked sharp. I find it dulls blades quickly.

Everybody loves JPSS. I do, too, but I also love Everlast (aka IYA, aka Iron-all), and right now I'm loving Cold Peel, tho it's a tad glossy. For darks also try out IYA/Jet Dark Premium Something. It's even pricier than 3G, and may or may not be better, jury still out.

That's all I've got for now! HTH.
That paper goes under a few different names, one is "Ink Flex Dark, another is "Iron All for Darks".

It is the only 1 step paper I have tested that does not crack 30+ washes, does not shrivel up like fried bacon in a hot dryer either.

The washing instructions is just to wash like you do normally for the blank garment.

Very durable paper, everything else is crap unless you don't mind cracking.

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi guys. i am a noob to dark transfer but i have printed more than 50 shirts using jetpro ss.

is it just me or is jet opaque 2 harder to peel (from paper before heat transfer) than 3g? i am doing product testing to see which one is better for my small shirt business. and it seems 3g is better in many ways. peeling jet opaque 2 from its paper label just takes much of my time. any technique?
I don't know if you got a response, but what I find very helpful is running the corner of my papers under my t-square; it provides just the right height to cause the scrape to peel the paper from the backing...hope this helped.

·
Registered
27 Posts
There are several differences between Neenah 3G and Jet opaqueII. I will list the few I am aware of:

1- Standard Ink: For Jet opaque II you can use standard dye ink or gel ones that comes with the printer, where as it is recommended that for 3G you use pigmented ink. Pigmented ink last far longer compared to dye ink as they are more resistant to UV in the sunlight and have overall better washability. Dye inks looks more vibrant when printed but fade quickly.

2- Thickness: 3G is relatively thinner compared to Jet opaque II, and gives an overall lighter feel

3- Application: 3G is better off on lighter shirts as in below 200GSM, Jet opaque II is for shirts that are higher than 200 GSM

These are the few I can think of right now, but overall I prefer 3G as the results it produces are far satisfactory and washability wise it lasted the test of time for me.

I choose "Plain Paper" as paper settings and for print quality its "Fine". In my experience this is the best setting not resulting in over saturation of print. I am not sure if "Fine" setting is available on Windows platform.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Jet-Opaque is a brand name for Neenah Paper's dark ink-jet heat transfer papers. Jet-Opaque II is the older version of the product, still sold, good product it's a bit thicker and heavier than the newest Neenah dark ink-jet heat transfer paper which is 3G Opaque. As one person above said, and correctly, 3G Opaque is thinner than the Jet-Opaque II, that's the primary difference between the two products.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts