Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jdr8271 said:
I was in mentioned in bust magazine, with 400,000 readers, and it did bring in a good amount of sales. Good luck!
Actually this wasn't a paid ad. I met the editor of YRB at the Pool show. He was interested in the techniques I've developed and wanted to write about it. I went into NYC and did an interview with them.....this piece is the result of an hour interview. Didn't know I talked sooooooooo slow.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Unpaid for mentions in big publications (articles about your company) is some of the best exposure you can get.

What kind of techniques have you developed?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was very fortunate to run into the editor....and to have him find my stuff interesting. The techniques I use are just different from traditional screen printing. I apply the discharge inks I use in many different ways other than a screen. He was also interested in the fact that I do my own dyeing. I think he saw me as a "man bites dog" story. Trying to break into the fashion world while being based in Portland, Maine is crazy enough. When he found out I was a one man operation and had managed to get placement in several good retailers he was very interested.

Anyway.....it was a good break for me. Hopefully I land a few more good accounts because of it.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Nice looking clothing Jay!
So your designs are kind of dyed directly into the garment? Cool.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jdr8271 said:
Yea, mine wasnt a paid ad either. They just mentioned me becuase they thought their customers would be interested.
Bust is a good magazine. It's always nice to have someone recoginze your stuff as valid. And when they give you free publicity it's even better. This media stuff is strange. Until someone writes about you.....no other media outlets have any interest. Once someone with even a modest reputation gives you a little press.....lots of people want to talk to you.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Once someone with even a modest reputation gives you a little press.....lots of people want to talk to you.
That's very true. It's almost like consumer credit :) If you don't need the money, people will be happy to lend it to you.

I've notice media mentions/press can have a snowball effect. After the first one, you'll get other media mentions and related articles written and hopefully more contacts for a little flurry, then it melts away until the next season :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts