T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am in the market for expanding my services to also doing heat transfers and adding foils and other materials to my designs. what is the best unit that can handle all of the above?

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Not sure what you mean by unit. There is a certain kind of foil that adheres to a certain kind of toner from a certain kind of laser printer (doesn't work with all printers or toners).. I think I saw it on the stahls site somewhere. There is also the foil that you can do with screen printing which is the kind of foil I do. It can either be done as a transfer or printed on the shirt and then foiled on top of the printing.

Then there are the heat transfers for cotton that can either be inkjet or laser paper. And then there are heat transfers that are for dark fabrics. There is also the vinyl transfer option, but that requires a cutter of some kind.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I'm guessing you are working within a budget. If your budget is big go with an air powered unit, otherwise clamshell; you'll want a 16x20. I have a clam but after a couple hours of pressing, wish I had a swing-away so my hands were under the heat all the time. Hix, Hotronix, Insta, GeoKnight are all good brands.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
With a clam shell, not only are your hands exposed to the heat more, it will also make it very difficult to line things up right (if you do vinyl and need to align colors). I have a clam shell, and would not want to have another one. The Hotronix Fusion by Stahls is my favorite. It has a swing arm and it has a drawer type action so your hands are never close to the heating element. It is pricey though, over $1,000. One of these days I'll get it.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Strange thing about the Fusion is it doesn't have auto open, for $1800 I'd want that, but otherwise it looks awesome. At that price though I'd probably go for a air operated.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using T-Shirt Forums

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Don't you need a compressor or something for air operated? I don't have one of those. My presses are just simple presses that I got off ebay. As long as they work, I really don't care who makes them.
I just can't afford the expensive ones. I look at them from a distance and admire their different qualities that I don't have on mine, but they are just too far out of my budget range.

·
Registered
131 Posts
We have a lot of heat presses we use and Hotronix is the best but that being said it is a really expensive machine and you can get a Vesta heat press for half the price with the same performance. The main thing in buying a heat press is making sure a good company stands behind it for service and that is is made really well with a good flat even heat platen. If you buy a cheap geniric heat press from a no namer company you'll be having to resolve issues by yourself. People should call a company and do there due diligence before buying to make sure that company knows about heat presses and is knowledge enough to help you down the line if you ever need help with anything.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
There are all kinds of horror stories about buying stuff online.....So to me is seems real "stupid" to trust someone who hides behind a PMB at a UPS Store....
Roger hide?? Haha... I haven't been around much but I can tell you he could prolly sell heat presses in the back of his car at the local WalMart and people will be happy.

Besides..how many people continue to do "stupid" things no matter how many times they have been warned? Educated?

It's well never end..

Back to the OP, there is no right or wrong answer. Customer service availability either by the dealer or company is the most important key.

because many business, dealers, resellers are available on the weekend..physical address or not it doesn't matter.

You need to purchase a heat press, that when it goes down you can rely on their help.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.