T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone having problems recently with (100% cotton tees) Hanes, Gildan, Alstyle, Anvil? Some of my customers are complaining that some their batches are shrinking more than usual right after a few cold water washes and air dried. The width is fine, it's the length that's shrinking. Does anyone know of these issues. Please let me know so I can purchase the most consistent brand.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Is anyone having problems recently with (100% cotton tees) Hanes, Gildan, Alstyle, Anvil? Some of my customers are complaining that some their batches are shrinking more than usual right after a few cold water washes and air dried. The width is fine, it's the length that's shrinking. Does anyone know of these issues. Please let me know so I can purchase the most consistent brand.

Thank you
I don't wear or buy 100% cotton for just this reason. I always wear & use 50/50. Little if any shrinkage, wrinkle free out of dryer, take less time to dry thus saving money on gas, electric.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't wear or buy 100% cotton for just this reason. I always wear & use 50/50. Little if any shrinkage, wrinkle free out of dryer, take less time to dry thus saving money on gas, electric.
Thanks for your response. What brand 50/50 tees do you use.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for your response. What brand 50/50 tees do you use.
Usually Gilden or whatever I can find with the best price. Blends usually always shrink in the length. Have you ever bought a shirt for yourself off the $5 rack and it was short and wide after you washed and dried it? Same thing.

If you are selling a lot of shirts look for items that are pre shrunk.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
With screen printing tho, doesn't the ink bleed on the shirts? I'd use 50/50 too if it weren't for that.

Sent from my iPhone using TShirtForums

·
Registered
404 Posts
Preshrunk will also continue to shrink. Lost about 2" on a Hanes Preshrunk Beefy T. Best is to order a couple of samples of each brand you would like to use and wash and dry one to compare with the other. This way you can advise your customers that they may want to size up or at least let them know to expect some shrinkage. 50/50 are okay, but they don't seem to come in the same weight as the heavier 100% cottons which most of my customes prefer.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WOW I have never washed my shirts before I embroidered on them. I use Gildan, and I haven't had a problem.
Thanks. I'm sticking with Alstyle 1301 tees. They seem to be the most consistent and seem a bit longer in length. Well our last batch was super good. I measured it against Hanes Heavyweight tees and it was a good 2" longer. When your clients are tall/big, they appreciate it when the shirt covers their stomach when they lift their arms up.

Have a great day and thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Do you always wash your shirts what about when you have a larger order or when you do wovern shirts. I have had my clients tell me they wash them before they wear them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you always wash your shirts what about when you have a larger order or when you do wovern shirts. I have had my clients tell me they wash them before they wear them.
Try t-shirts, hoodies sweat tshirts from FAMONA Ltd. Thats really good. No problems like shrinking, color fading etc. I bought few hoodies, t-shirts and sweat t-shirts from them. Those were really cheap and best.

But those guys dont have online purchase and shipment in their website. Also for your reference Famona Ltd

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Try t-shirts, hoodies sweat tshirts from FAMONA Ltd. Thats really good. No problems like shrinking, color fading etc. I bought few hoodies, t-shirts and sweat t-shirts from them. Those were really cheap and best.

But those guys dont have online purchase and shipment in their website. Also for your reference Famona Ltd

Thanks Dennis. I will surely check them out. Much Aloha.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I actually like the length shrinkage, because the shirts all seem excessively long to me, but that's just personal fit preference. The whole "pre-shrunk" thing is a puzzler, though--you tend to assume it means "will not shrink" when it actually means "we shrank it, now it's your turn". :rolleyes:

I found the Gildans to be almost square once they exited the dryer, and the Anvils less so. I'd love to pre-wash all my shirts before I do anything to them, just so they'll be nice and soft for the customer, but that adds up in time and money, and some people would rather have a spanking-new shirt, maybe because they're into neatness. (Seems like the opposite of what a t-shirt is for, IMHO.)

Has anybody ever come across a list of any sort that accurately describes a "typical" American human body? For instance, do more people have long torsos or short, wide shoulders or narrow, etc. I guess that's one of those wish-list bits of information that just doesn't exist. Stupid humans, being all different! How are we supposed to make a buck?!:mad:

·
Registered
87 Posts
I used Gildan 2000 exclusively for the first 3 years of business and received alot of direct feedback from customers. They love the feel but they hate the shrinkage. The width is fine but you lose 2 - 2.5" of length after a few washes. For this very reason I tested several brands and I'm now going on 2 1/2 years since I stopped using Gildan.

Brands with less shrinkage (length):

Alstyle 1301 - 6 oz
Port & Co. PC61 - 6 oz

Tultex makes a nice 50/50 but it might be a little light for some guys.

Alstyle and Port have consistently shown good results after repeated washes, but the most important thing is telling my customers to wash in cold and hang/air dry if they really want to keep close to the original pre-washed length. I also relabel them with the same instructions.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I used Gildan 2000 exclusively for the first 3 years of business and received alot of direct feedback from customers. They love the feel but they hate the shrinkage. The width is fine but you lose 2 - 2.5" of length after a few washes. For this very reason I tested several brands and I'm now going on 2 1/2 years since I stopped using Gildan.

Brands with less shrinkage (length):

Alstyle 1301 - 6 oz
Port & Co. PC61 - 6 oz

Tultex makes a nice 50/50 but it might be a little light for some guys.

Alstyle and Port have consistently shown good results after repeated washes, but the most important thing is telling my customers to wash in cold and hang/air dry if they really want to keep close to the original pre-washed length. I also relabel them with the same instructions.
Thanks. I currently use Alstyle right now. I haven't used Port for awhile cause shipping cost a bit much. The new Alstyle batch I got seems a bit larger than months before. I don't know if they changed something or if I got a good batch.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts