T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having an issue with some of my Union Mixopake Ink rubbing off. Here are the particulars
Wash test and stretch test is good. No cracking and doesn’t come off in the wash.
Screen mesh is 230
Cured through Tunnel Drier, Ranar Cure Star 4000
Surface temps of ink that I have tried are

340 for 56 seconds
360 for 56 seconds
380 for 56 seconds
400 for 56 seconds
Last test we scorched a shirt and that didn’t fix the issue with the ink
I have now tried adding soft hand base to dilute the pigment to no avail. 20% 40% up to 80%

It looks like crocking.
My ink supplier has basically said that it is due to what they are using the shirts for and it is excessive. They wear harnesses because they hang off the side of buildings while working. I don't feel that statement is correct and feel it was just an excuse to not replace the ink that is doing this. I just purchased the whole mixing system from this supplier and now I feel like I have to test every color to see what ones are doing this.
I can basically rub the shirt against itself and some of the ink starts to rub off and transfer. The Black on these shirts and the white on the hoodies is fine, just the red so far.

Any suggestions on another brand of ink that won't do this??
Thanks in advance for any info

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Surface temps of ink that I have tried are
340 for 56 seconds
360 for 56 seconds
380 for 56 seconds
400 for 56 seconds
Way too hot.
You should keep the temperature around 310 - 330F and only vary the time depending on the type and amount of ink used.
Curing for 60 seconds should be enough, but you can cure it for a bit longer just to make sure. Plastisol is tolerant, as long as you don't overheat it.

I have now tried adding soft hand base to dilute the pigment to no avail. 20% 40% up to 80%
Soft hand base will not help.
Curable reducer is what you need. Adding 10-20% is always a good idea, especially if the ink is a bit old.

It looks like crocking.
My ink supplier has basically said that it is due to what they are using the shirts for and it is excessive. They wear harnesses because they hang off the side of buildings while working. I don't feel that statement is correct and feel it was just an excuse to not replace the ink that is doing this.
It could be a bad batch of ink... but adding curable reducer should fix it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A little late to the game here.
We had the same issue back in 2016 with the Union red ink. The explanation we received was also crocking. At the time we never heard of that. They gave us every excuse but in the end admitted that the red will always rub off. Even if just hanging on a rack between other shirts. For whatever terrible recipe they have their red is never going to fully cure no matter how high a temperature you use. We switched to Wilflex Epic red and have not had a problem since. According to my production crew none of the other Union inks have given us a problem.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You are printing through a 230, there is not even that much ink going though to assume you have some excessive amount of red on the shirt. Cure at 330 don`t exceed 60 sec in the heat chamber. We use plenty of Union reds, but all RTU colors, no issues over the last few years. And yes curable reducer is good option.
In the early 2000s back in the UK we had similar issues, the sales rep back then said red inks have a lot higher pigment load than other colors. That`s all he said in regard to that issue ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts