T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a design that is words that will be printed on black and white shirts. In selecting custom transfers I have the words in both black and white. If I can gang both designs is this one color or two? Originally I thought it was 2 (black and white) but then I read that white is just 0% black and that it would only be one color (black). So I thought I'd ask the experts. Thanks!

· Registered
612 Posts
I'm assuming you are talking about plastisol transfers. If so this would count as two colors. It might be cheaper to print a run of all white, and then all black. Most companies make a small charge for a color change, but that still may be cheaper than a two color print.

Good luck,
Nick

· Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm assuming you are talking about plastisol transfers. If so this would count as two colors. It might be cheaper to print a run of all white, and then all black. Most companies make a small charge for a color change, but that still may be cheaper than a two color print.

Good luck,
Nick
Ok thanks for that info and that advice!

· Registered
270 Posts
This gets a little confusing. White ( in the computer) can be 0 % black and is called different names. This is a computer white, a knock out white and also a CMYK white. The only thing it is not, is a spot color white. Spot color whites are used when you actually need to print a white ink. In order for it to print as a separation. It needs to be a custom spot color.

A process white has 0% in each of the CMYK and therefore, knocks out of any color it is on top of.

If you are printing white words on a black or colored substrate, you will be using a spot color white. You cannot do both black and white ink at the same time so you will need a color change but you can use the same art. This is referring to screen printed transfers.

Digital transfers may do both on the same setup, but would require a digital printer that also does white inks. I don't know anything about the digital transfer process so someone else will need to clarify on how that is done if at all.

Reactions: Rodney
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.