T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I hope everyone is having a good night. So, I have started skate apparel company. Focusing on the skateboard/snowboard/surf market. I have my business lic., EIN, resell permit, and working towards trademark pending. I am not sure what to do about the actual printing of the shirts. I priced out about 4-5 online suppliers that sell in bulk. around 500-1000. some do the shirt, printing, and relabeling all together. avergage price is about 4.75 per shirt for about 6 colors. So, I have been looking into doing my own screen printing due to the initial low production. However, would this be a huge battle. I am thinking 4 color max to start. here is one I was looking at: 4 Color 2 Station Table Top Screen Printing "Silver Press"

Is this even good lol. say it is or I find a good one, what more would I need to actually print? Is it a very hard thing to learn? Please, any help or comments would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
56 Posts
shutterbugs,

To answer your question, NO that is not all you are going to need. As for your other question as to whether or not the machine you posted is a good one, I would say you should get a machine with micro registration at the very least. That machine does not have micro-registration.

There are a number of youtube videos about the process of screen printing and a few books as well.

At a minimum, you will need a press, a flash and a way to expose your screens. A conveyor dryer is the preferred method of curing, but many folks get by with just a flash cure.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
the initial start up can be costly..lots of materials to buy, maybe do as i did and buy piece by piece until you have everything you need to in business. But first i highly recommend learning to screen print. It is not impossible to learn. a great way to learn is to get in with a shop learn the very basics, washing screens,mixxing inks, keep your eyes and ears open start with simple 1 color print ask a lot of questions..no question is a dumb question..read the forums..i have worked with different presses, in my opinion If you want the best go with a workhouse. i have a older hopkins 4x4 ( i like it a lot) but i am saving my pennies for a workhorse 6x6

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
I'd say get some decent used screenprinting equipment, instead of lower end new stuff, and like the first response said, get a press with decent micros. It'll make your life and the learning curve a hell of a lot easier. DTG is good for short runs, but the machines are expensive to buy, and have to be meticulously maintained whether or not you're printing shirts. At least with screenprinting, if you don't have shirts to print for a month, the machine can sit there.

·
Registered
872 Posts
When I started I bought a machine like that for around $500. It was a 4 color, 1 station from a company named Lincoln I think. It was hard to work with but it taught me a lot and worked for what I needed. I used it for about a year, and then I saved enough money to buy some used equipment from someone who was selling out a screen shop. I bought all of his equipment for around $1000. It was a beat up screen machine (4/4 press, 8 foot, 220 volt oven, flash unit, old squeegees, inks, screens and such). After a while I was able to buy a complete Vastex shop. You have to start somewhere.
I think it would be a good machine to help you learn how to print. You have to buy what you can afford and if you think this will work for you.... go for it.
Have fun and learn a lot and make money and enjoy the craft.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts