T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to order a Silhouette Cameo with some vinyl (probably 5 colours to start with) a weeder and some application tape.

I will be using a this lot for small sign making

Is this enough?

·
Registered
8,081 Posts
Because of the size limitation of the Cameo, I would urge you to consider a larger unit and expand your business plan to include heat press vinyl. There are some Saga or GCC units with just a bit more $$ and would certainly give you much more flexibility. You could then do window signage on vehicles or store fronts, larger signs. 12 inch wide cutter sure limits signage. When I started 17 years ago I operated with a 9x12 inexpensive Hix manual heat press. Really helped me out. I still have the Hix and even use it for small chest imprints.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
i agree. most sign vinyl isn't even sold at that small a width. look at getting a 24" cutter. the money you spend now will be made up for quite rapidly.

24" cutter for 24" sign vinyl rolls.
14" x 16" heat press for above cutter with heat press vinyl sold at 15" rolls.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you mean small as in never going big then yes it's plenty but if you do intend making bigger signs then the answer is no.
Think about this though, if a customer comes along and want a 20 inch sign do you really want to turn them down because you're cutter is to small.
I agree with the posters above get a bigger cutter that way you can take all comers

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I concur with the others, 12" will be a pain to work with. In the sign game big is always better. I got this package to be a portable cutter to do names at events:
R31 Vinyl Cutter, LXi Apprentice Software & Starter Kit ($290+$39) = $329 - Includes FedEx Shipping - Sign Supplies and Equipment

It's a rebranded redsail plotter, cheapo, but gets the job done. The software is Flexi's new software I believe (it's SAI and the interface looks identical to Flexi's), at an entry level. I got some bonuses I think when I called in, but your mileage may vary there. I only used this for heat transfer vinyls as for signs I use a Roland SP300V and a graphtec8000fc+HP L25500, but I think if it can do heat transfer vinyl ok, it should do sign vinyl well.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I am about to order a Silhouette Cameo with some vinyl (probably 5 colours to start with) a weeder and some application tape.

I will be using a this lot for small sign making

Is this enough?
I agree with at least a 24" cutter. Cost difference should not be that great and it will save you time and money spent on having to cut down larger width sign vinyls.

Depending on the sign type and size you will also need Exacto knives, squeegees, cleaner to do surface prep, blue painters tape, tape measures and so on.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.