T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm following these forums for quite a while and I'm thinking about starting my own t-shirt business here in Bosnia. I've been looking on the internet for the types of the designs I would like to make and found that the best ones are at Design by Humans, MySoti and Threadless.

So my question is, are these T-Shirts printed with DTG printers, and if so, which printers (name the manufacturer and the mark of the printer please) can provide the quality and the size of the print like on these shirts?

The shirts

Thanks in advance,
Bojan from Bosnia :)

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
DTG and Screen Printing both can produce product like that on cotton garments. If DTG, it would have to be one of the new larger format machines. The older DTG machines do not print that large.

Reactions: BojanI

·
Registered
56 Posts
what i have noticed that a shirt printed with dtg machine, if you look at them closely or with a loop/magnify glass you ll notice that the printer hits every other thread on the shirt in which could result in pieces resembling the quality of a painting on canvas

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
what i have noticed that a shirt printed with dtg machine, if you look at them closely or with a loop/magnify glass you ll notice that the printer hits every other thread on the shirt in which could result in pieces resembling the quality of a painting on canvas
ya, DTG is very similar to a Giclee printer
Giclée - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your reply's guys, I guess I'll start reading screen printing forums now. I have two more questions and one is the same like the first one.

1. T-shirts from the first post are screen printed, but are there any DTG machines that could make those shirts?

2. Are these designs screen printed too, or these are made by DTG machine, I think these look a little bit different than the previous one's?

Once again, thanks in advance and keep up the good work!

Best regards from rainy Bosnia :)

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
A DTG Digital Viper can print that big. The DTG Viper Inkjet Printer

I know the T-Jet Blazer does. You can still get them and get parts and service even though US Screen Print & Inkjet Technology died.

I don't know the particulars off the top of my head, but there are some others that can print that big as well.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
The second set of images you posted are from Threadless. I know that company uses several different methods including screen printing and heat transfers/sublimation depending on the design. On their web site under the picture of the item it should say what method was used.

This "Rabbit Valley" print is screen printed (10 colors/screens with an additive for softhandfeel)
"Rabbit Valley" - Fantasy, WTF T-shirt by Cole Blotcky and Andy Cox

·
Registered
359 Posts
For multiple reasons, these appear to be screen printing--not direct to garment printing. While the colors are plenty and bright, the printed area seems too large. Also, there are instances of printing over seams, which generally is difficult with DTG because of the small print gap.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
While these examples, especially the threadless ones, are most likely screen printed, the DTGs I listed can print that large. I also print over seams and zippers all the time with my T-Jet. It is easy to adjust the bed hight and thus the gap between the substrate and the print head.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A DTG Digital Viper can print that big. The DTG Viper Inkjet Printer

I know the T-Jet Blazer does. You can still get them and get parts and service even though US Screen Print & Inkjet Technology died.

I don't know the particulars off the top of my head, but there are some others that can print that big as well.
Thanks mate, I'll start informing myself about Viper.

Can you post some pictures of T-shirts that you printed with your T-jet please, I want to see what's the quality of the print, sharpness etc.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Thanks mate, I'll start informing myself about Viper.

Can you post some pictures of T-shirts that you printed with your T-jet please, I want to see what's the quality of the print, sharpness etc.
This print is 11.75" wide by 19.5" tall on a 2XL Bare Apparel shirt. Printed with a 1440 underbase and 720 color pass in high speed photo mode. Done on my Fast T-Jet 2.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This print is 11.75" wide by 19.5" tall on a 2XL Bare Apparel shirt. Printed with a 1440 underbase and 720 color pass in high speed photo mode. Done on my Fast T-Jet 2.
It looks pretty nice. Which machine do you find better, Viper or T-jet? When comparing the machines, which one does better quality print, which one is easier to use and causes less problems when using it? When comparing the prices of the machines which one does justify it's price better?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Hello Bojan you should definitely look in to screen printing if you want to print designs that large, because printing them with a dtg machine would be veeery expensive! If you wan to do only one offs then printing with a DTG would be justified, but if your planning your own clothing line then screen printing is really the way to go. Plus Dupont inks for DTG printers are about 30 % more expensive in Europe then in the US.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello Bojan you should definitely look in to screen printing if you want to print designs that large, because printing them with a dtg machine would be veeery expensive! If you wan to do only one offs then printing with a DTG would be justified, but if your planning your own clothing line then screen printing is really the way to go. Plus Dupont inks for DTG printers are about 30 % more expensive in Europe then in the US.
Thanks for your advice, and yes I'm planing to do at last 10 shirts of the same design. I'm looking into screen printing but I find it very complicated because I don't know what do I need to do screen print. Do you maybe have any good tutorials for screen printing and maybe a list of items I need (ink, printer, some kind of machine maybe...)??

Regards,
Bojan :)

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
It looks pretty nice. Which machine do you find better, Viper or T-jet? When comparing the machines, which one does better quality print, which one is easier to use and causes less problems when using it? When comparing the prices of the machines which one does justify it's price better?
As it turns out, I believe my Fast T-Jet 2 and the DTG Digital Viper are actually made by the same company, Mastermind of Japan. If Don from SWF East sees this thread, he could confirm if I am right.

The inkjet technology used in all Epson based DTG printers provides a very good print. The Brother and Kornit DTG printers also have very nice prints. I think it is more the reliability and maintenance of any particular DTG that is important. I have not seen a machine that did not print really nice when it was running.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
YouTube - Ryonet's Channel youll find alot of tutorials at Ryonet youtube channel and overal on youtube. Well concerning the equipment there is a large variety of choices depending on the types of your designs and amount of money you wish to invest. Well for a price of a DTG printer you could get a really good screen printing setup (8 color manual carousel, flash, a decent dryer and handfull of supplies).

There is a good trade show called FESPA (biggest in Europe) in Munich on 22 of July. You could go there and see for your self a lot of different equipment brands. I believe there will be also some seminars about screen printing and garment decoration as well.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
As it turns out, I believe my Fast T-Jet 2 and the DTG Digital Viper are actually made by the same company, Mastermind of Japan. If Don from SWF East sees this thread, he could confirm if I am right.
The Viper isn't produced by Mastermind. Designed in Australia and made in Singapore. The Kiosk3 however is still Mastermind.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts