T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I was wondering if there was a practical way to do small screen printing jobs (t-shirts) without using a DTG system. With the economy the way it is, I don't feel comfortable turning away potential customers because they're not ordering two dozen shirts. And I don't want to tell them it would be $50 bucks a shirt either. I'm still in my first year and things are slow. Maybe I just have to bite the bullet for cash flow.

I do use the ChromaBlast heat transfer inks but not everyone wants or understands them (I know I have to do a better job of explaining h.t.). Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
It depends on the design.

Vinyl transfers might work if you have a vinyl cutter and the design is suited for that medium.

You also have to do a good job at educating the customer about minimum orders and how the pricing is determined by the quantity.

without using a DTG system
That might be an option you may want to reconsider if you really want to pickup those 1-6 piece jobs. If you aren't doing them, somebody else who is doing DTG printing is. Or they are taking the job and outsourcing it to a DTG printer.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hi Doug It depends on the design, if they want one color are two. If you have a two dozen minium order, let the customer know it will cost more , if they did not get the minium. Set a price for less than 24 shirts.
LaTonya

·
Registered
293 Posts
If you send the customer somewhere else to get small orders printed, if the other guy does a good job you may never see the customer again. Might be a good idea to buy a DTG printer in the long run or try self weeding transfers and hope the customers like white t-shirts:)
You could also sub the jobs out to some one who has a DTG printer.

Philip

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
If the design is not to complex vinyl transfer would work. I have done multi color designs with great success. The vinyl has changed so much that their is vinyl that looks and feels like printing. .... JB

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
I have to say that you would be better off outsourcing to a dtg printer, then potentially losing a customer. Vinyl will work with designs with a few colors, but dtg works great for detailed art with small runs. If you are paying $50 a shirt you need to find a new printer :) I do dtg and I have never charged $50 a shirt.

Reactions: DES-Man

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Simple 1,2 or 3 color (spot) jobs can be done in most cases using vinyl pretty successfully. If you need more of a full color design or the design has gradients / halftones then a DTG would be the better choice. However, don't rule out using a heat transfer like JPSS for full color designs on light garments. To me, they seem to reproduce the color better than a DTG and are faster for larger orders.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! It really seems that DTG and transfers are the way to go.

Again, thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts