T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the almost exponential growth in t-shirts on line and in the mass retail sector, does anyone think or suspect that the market may be approaching a saturation point? It's mind-blowing how many people are getting into this business. I think that the "niche market" aspect of t-shirts might be at a critical point. Do any of you established sellers notice a downward trend in sales? Or are you still experiencing encouraging growth. Andwhat about pricing? I would think that there would be pressure to cut pricies. Any thoughts?

Notyetdone

·
Registered
3 Posts
I definately think it's becoming way too saturated. It's kind of wierd that everyone and his uncle is getting into t-shirts. Most of what I think are the best shirts on the net are pretty expensive, $30 to $40. Come on, it's a t-shirt. I hope prices of online shirts fall. Rock.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I don't think it'll really start to fall for some time, but it might start to hit an equilibrium. Also note that there are always more people going online, getting old enough to buy their own stuff with credit cards, etc. so the potential demand is still expanding too, albiet probably slower than the supply is.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think that is a good point - more people going online, etc. - regarding most if not all ecommerce sites. I have been on literally hundreds of t-shirt sites and I too find that the best shirts grab a premium price. There is so much schlock out there! A "good" idea doesn't always translate to a great or even good t-shirt. I wish more people would do a little self-editing when it comes to posting products. Nonetheless, I am always thrilled by the entrepreneurial spirit, whether it be bad, good or indifferent. I go to a lot of different trade shows and I always come away impressed by the wealth of ideas that people have. Personally, I think it's great that everybody and their mother are manufacturing t-shirts; it's great for the consumer to have such a vast array of choices. And it is really what this country is about - taking a chance and believing in yourself. It is invigorating in the best sense of the word.

notyetdone

·
Registered
389 Posts
Where have you seen $30 and $40 t-shirts? I haven't seen any much more than $20.
There may be a lot of t-shirt sellers, but it seems to me not a lot of great ones. So it seems like there's plenty of room if you are a great designer and a great marketer.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Bougie said:
Where have you seen $30 and $40 t-shirts? I haven't seen any much more than $20.
I know of a couple of sites that charge $75-80 AUD (about USD $60) around here, as well as places that charge 40 pounds, etc. It's not that uncommon (though obviously it's by no means the norm).

It depends which market you're looking around in - there are a lot of niches within this niche market, and some of them are not in even indirect competition with each other.

Obviously most of the more expensive stuff is high fashion, so it may have a limited shelf life (or if it's lucky it may not).

If you want to see a specific example Don Ed Hardy is charging $45 and up for his t-shirts, and from what I hear is doing very very well (speaking only for myself, I think he's a brilliant tattooist - but I hate his t-shirts, and hate that he gets away with those prices (up to $92) even more - but the fact is it's what his market is willing to pay).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually, I have seen $50, - $90 and more at some of the fashion retailers - Barney's in NYC, etc. Yes, it's a bit of a different customer, and the quality is high end but people are paying. I guess one rule of thumb is to know who you want your customers to be. Personally, I would rather sell 1000 at $17.99 than a dozen at $69.99.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts