T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The customer's design on the T-shirt did not look the same as the proof. On a black shirt, a white outline of a letter was missing and now 75 shirts need to be repaired or replaced. Is there a way to correct a print error on 75 shirts? Maybe Michael's or another craft store has a bottle of white ink that can be used to outline the text (like a cake decorator) and then the shirt can be heat pressed? Any other suggestions? Maybe there's a solution using a vinyl cutter? Please help! :(

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
experience is valuable because it costs so much to get. You pay for it with blood, sweat, tears, and usually also money!

You are lucky... yours only costs sweat, tears and money!

You can reprint them faster than you can kludge up a fix. You just gotta buy new shirts and make and reburn the screens. If you charged enough for the job to begin with you should at least break even.

The 3 secrets of success:
1. Show up
2. Do the work
3. Get real good at what you do

·
Registered
84 Posts
I cant really post a pic, my only suggestion without reprinting them all would be to make a screen with that outline a very carfully line each one up by hand. But white on black will be hard w/o flashing. In the end I wouldnt give a costumer something I fudged and tried to make up for it with vinyl or some bottled printing ink. I wont look right.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I cant really post a pic, my only suggestion without reprinting them all would be to make a screen with that outline a very carfully line each one up by hand. But white on black will be hard w/o flashing. In the end I wouldnt give a costumer something I fudged and tried to make up for it with vinyl or some bottled printing ink. I wont look right.
Have you talked to your customer? even though they are not exactly like the design they might be happy with them, if they have already rejected them bite the bullet and redo the order I know it's hard but in the long run it'll save a customer, show your committed to doing quality work and 100% customer satisfaction.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it's a long story ... but the customer first wanted a "few shirts" so we went with T-Jet. The customer requested a few more so we pretreated 75 shirts and then the T-Jet went bad and it took 10-12 minutes per shirt. We decided it would be faster to burn 3-4 screens and went ahead and purchased 75 new shirts for traditional plastisol printing (outsourced). Apparently our film we gave to the printer was missing a hairline of a "d". We could buy 75 more shirts and burn a replacement for the messed up screen or try to correct the 75 by hand. The customer was concerned that the T-Jet version looked like it would crack after a few washes. Your opinion ... bad outline jpg.jpg

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
The customer requested a few more so we pretreated 75 shirts and then the T-Jet went bad and it took 10-12 minutes per shirt. The customer was concerned that the T-Jet version looked like it would crack after a few washes. Your opinion ..
So you have 75 shirts already pretreated for the T-Jet? I would print them with the T-Jet you already have the shirts ready, yeah it'll take some time at 12 min per but it'll cut your losses, I don't understand why the customer would think that the DTG'd print would crack after a few washes? was it because the shirt was stiff from the pretreatment?

I guess it comes down to what it'll take to make your customer happy, that's what we all strive for.

·
Registered
64 Posts
if u decide to repair, I'll also vote for vinyl, i thinh you wont be able to register al 75 of them corectly by printing.. good luck!

·
Administrator
14,017 Posts
it's a long story ... but the customer first wanted a "few shirts" so we went with T-Jet. The customer requested a few more so we pretreated 75 shirts and then the T-Jet went bad and it took 10-12 minutes per shirt. We decided it would be faster to burn 3-4 screens and went ahead and purchased 75 new shirts for traditional plastisol printing (outsourced). Apparently our film we gave to the printer was missing a hairline of a "d". We could buy 75 more shirts and burn a replacement for the messed up screen or try to correct the 75 by hand. The customer was concerned that the T-Jet version looked like it would crack after a few washes. your opinion
Shame on your printer. hairline or not, the omission is obvious. You should have gotten a call after the first test print.

Are you asking our opinion as to whether the T-Jet image will crack? What's been your experience with other jobs? Tell your customer your past experiences.

I agree with Jon. Replace the order with the shirts you have with your T-jet. Offer to replace any cracked shirts if any customer complains.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Shame on your printer. hairline or not, the omission is obvious. You should have gotten a call after the first test print.

Are you asking our opinion as to whether the T-Jet image will crack? What's been your experience with other jobs? Tell your customer your past experiences.

I agree with Jon. Replace the order with the shirts you have with your T-jet. Offer to replace any cracked shirts if any customer complains.
I agree that is something that should have been questioned. Just glancing at the design it catches your eye.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I would first try to fix the print by making an outline of the letter and try to register it by hand. I mean if the shirts a going in the trash any how it's worth a shot. I see it being done on Youtube all the time. Next I would do the DTG and tell the customer that you'll stand by the work. I think the vinyl would be to different in look and feel. I know I wouldn't like it fixed with vinyl.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
wonubee said:
I would first try to fix the print by making an outline of the letter and try to register it by hand. I mean if the shirts a going in the trash any how it's worth a shot. I see it being done on Youtube all the time. Next I would do the DTG and tell the customer that you'll stand by the work. I think the vinyl would be to different in look and feel. I know I wouldn't like it fixed with vinyl.
You cannot believe everything you see on YouTube... that is how WWll was started :)

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
I would try one piece with vinyl first before committing to any more than that. Some vinyls have a plastisol feel and look and since it's just the outline of a letter, IMO, it would blend well.

The vinyl should have a clear or frosted backing to it, so you can line it up with no problems. The only thing I would suggest is to make sure you cover your other printed areas when heat pressing so the look of the overall print doesn't change between your vinyl covered letter and your other printed areas.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Getting a white outline to fit perfectly around the yellow letter will be next to impossible. That's a pretty thin outline.
Suck it up, buy new shirts, and reprint them. The time spent trying a half-a$$ed fix isn't worth it. As for the printer who printed the job with the mistake, technically, it isn't his fault, especially since you gave him the films, but a conscientious printer would've called to question the omission of the outline. I wouldn't use him again.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just a thought, How about making some plastisol transfers with the missing outline on and applying with a heat press, assuming you could see the design through the transfer I would think you could align it correctly and it would look alot better than vinyl.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts