T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a lot of screen printed t-shirts, but I don't think I've seen a lot of strictly "embroidery only" t-shirts for sale.

I wonder if there is a niche market for these type of designs?

It seems like it would be something sort of unique for the t-shirt market.

I'd be interested in seeing if anybody has seen a line of cool embroidered t-shirts for sale online.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My uninformed opinion... I think embroidered shirts tend to sem like a more 'high end' thing than 'just' t-shirts. For instance, there's a place in Big Sur, CA called Nepenthe (you might have heard of them?) - it's an upscale hangout with an upscale arty type shop. Last time I was there they had long-sleeve blue chambray shirts with embroidery on them - they were more expensive, but nice.

I can see me doing some simple Celtic designs in embroidery in the future, but I'm not sure that I would do t-shirts, per se. Maybe collared shirts? Jury's still out.

Come to think of it, the Nepenthe embroidery was their logo, and a shirt I bought for my s.o. once with embroidery on it just said 'seattle'. Just thinking out loud here... I wonder if more embroidery is done with words/logos than with 'art'?

Anyway, this is probably a bit of a tangential response, but yes, I do think there's a place for it. To tell you the truth, I don't think most people really think about a design being 'embroidery' - they just know intuitively it's not screen printing and may seem a little nicer or classier.

It seems that embroidery would also last longer than screen printing, so maybe there's additional longevity and 'classiness' issues. I mean - I can't imagine that a lot of the threadless.com shirts would be suited for embroidery? Hmmm.

Interesting,
:)
Kristen

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've seen more of these for corporate promotion than anything else. In fact, I've got one from an old employer with the company logo embroidered on it. And come to think of it again, I used to have a nicely embroidered fleece pullover from another ex-employer.

But you don't seem to see these as often, outside of corporate logo-wear.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've only really seen embroidered designs on Polo Shirts, and mostly company logos. Would be a nice idea for smaller designs / motifs. I dont know how well it would work with a large design ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is there a market? The only way I ever answer this question is: "Would I buy this myself?" In this case I would say "yes" the previously mentioned "Seattle" t-shirt which Kristen gave me looks very nice and has held up well over the years.

I think the embroidery can add a classier look to the shirts as long as they are of sufficient weight. I wouldn't even consider putting it on a value t or the ringers.

John M

·
Registered
86 Posts
telepathicfrog said:
Is there a market? The only way I ever answer this question is: "Would I buy this myself?" In this case I would say "yes" the previously mentioned "Seattle" t-shirt which Kristen gave me looks very nice and has held up well over the years.

I think the embroidery can add a classier look to the shirts as long as they are of sufficient weight. I wouldn't even consider putting it on a value t or the ringers.

John M
I totally agree with telepathicfrog. I have been in the Screen Printing and Embroidery industry for 18 years. The key HAS to be to find a shirt of substantial weight. The market IS there if the logo will hold up without distortion. I agree with some of the other posts as well. There is a perceived value with embroidery that you can capitalize on in even more so in a retail environment. Most t-shirt materials have a "grain" that runs in a vertical direction. This up and down direction is the reason my company warns against the longevity of t-shirt embroidery. Circles and squares are hard to keep uniform because of something called pull compensation. My suggestion if you must embroider on a t-shirt is to find a heavyweight tee or even better a pique tee.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Probably should have asked Rodney's question before I started my business, instead of jumping in with both feet. Just started our store focusing on embroidered (and customized) Chinese character tees... give me a little while, and I'll keep you posted on how well (or not) it goes.

Will agree with triplej, the heavier weights are certainly much easier to embroider. Will also take the pique tee suggestion under advisement (any other tips you can pass along, I'll soak up like a sponge?).

Would love to get any feedback on our site (looking for the truth, not compliments! :)).

J.T.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Rodney said:
I've seen a lot of screen printed t-shirts, but I don't think I've seen a lot of strictly "embroidery only" t-shirts for sale.

I wonder if there is a niche market for these type of designs?

It seems like it would be something sort of unique for the t-shirt market.

I'd be interested in seeing if anybody has seen a line of cool embroidered t-shirts for sale online.
I knew a girl who used to sell her own tees......she used both screen printing and embroidery....fitted women's tees with little flowers with embroidery around them and a little screened bird, or embroidery designs climbing up the sides. Really cool.

·
Registered
86 Posts
youngjt said:
Probably should have asked Rodney's question before I started my business, instead of jumping in with both feet. Just started our store focusing on embroidered (and customized) Chinese character tees... give me a little while, and I'll keep you posted on how well (or not) it goes.

Will agree with triplej, the heavier weights are certainly much easier to embroider. Will also take the pique tee suggestion under advisement (any other tips you can pass along, I'll soak up like a sponge?).

Would love to get any feedback on our site (looking for the truth, not compliments! :)).

J.T.
I really like the site. I like the idea that you can personalize the garments. Are you doing the embroidery in-house? Just asking because I might be able to offer some machine tweaks to keep pull pull comp. issues to a minumum. I don't think you will have a ton of image distortion issues if you are keeping the logos as small as you are. Are you using backing? If so, what weight? That might be a little annoying to the customer and on the white tees you might be able to see the backing through the material if it's not heavy enough. Good Luck with the site. I love the concept.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Jamie,

Yeah, using 3 oz. backing, tearaways for the lighter colors and cutaways for the darks. Finding that I need to use 3 - 4 sheets for the tearaways, does that jive with what you've experienced? Also finding that the Baby Rib women's shirts are more prone to error.

And YES, any tips you have on machine tweaks would be greatly appreciated, have run into challenges!

BTW, really like your sites too. Boy, you've really thought of everything, from help wanted, to promotional products, man you're on your game! Also like the clean lines of PrintMojo.

J.T.

·
Registered
86 Posts
youngjt said:
Hi Jamie,

Yeah, using 3 oz. backing, tearaways for the lighter colors and cutaways for the darks. Finding that I need to use 3 - 4 sheets for the tearaways, does that jive with what you've experienced? Also finding that the Baby Rib women's shirts are more prone to error.

And YES, any tips you have on machine tweaks would be greatly appreciated, have run into challenges!

BTW, really like your sites too. Boy, you've really thought of everything, from help wanted, to promotional products, man you're on your game! Also like the clean lines of PrintMojo.

J.T.

Thanks for the kind words :) The backing you are using is Perfect. Have you tried using "solvy" on the garments to help the thread stay on top of the fabric better? That's the only thing we might be doing differently. What brand embroidery machine are you using? how many heads?

·
Registered
86 Posts
youngjt said:
Using single head. "Solvy" ... I seem to have heard that term before. Will look into it, thanks!
It's pretty cool stuff. You place it down in you image area before you even start the embroidery. It helps keep the threads from pulling into the garment. When the garment is finished you simply spray it with water and it dissolves.

I don't have much experience with single heads so I don't have any production tweaks for you :) We have a 2 head and a 12 head.

What brand of machine is it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've purchased several nightshirts with embroidery. The weight of the fabric has been quite an issue

In washing (many times) several of the garments have sagged where the embroidery is. One has a frog on the pocket that now looks as tho the frog is trying to jump off.

Those that are of a heavier weight have held up better.

Is there a market for this? There is a market for everything - you just have to find your niche.

My Mom is into frogs - so I buy any tees or nightshirts with them on. Screenprint or embroidery doesn't matter. I have a little stock pile to cover Mother's Day, Birthday's and Just Because Days.

I tried to turn her on to my Penguin's and in typical Mom style said "Aren't those cute?" But she didn't fool me - she'd rather have frogs. Go figure!!

Char

·
Registered
98 Posts
We do embroidery but the market is slowly dying out. Embroidery is the corporate, golfer style. As the designs used to be complex but now they are simpler and simpler. People shutter when they hear prices of embroidery now adays. I now find embroidery more of a art these days. You will never be able to be a master at embroidery but some people get very good.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts