T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I'm designing some cool t-shirts and I belive that I can make some sales. I don't want to invest for the time being. Is Cafe Press the best website around? I belive it is the one with more visitors right? But the comissions are low, correct? Thanks, Paulo

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a Cafepress store and I feel that it gets lost in the other thousands of stores serviced by them. They are very high priced and yes the commissions are very low. I have found that they are charging full retail price for their products so if you want to make any money you have to further increase the price of the product which in-turn makes it less likely that anyone will buy anything. For example a regular large white t-shirt on cafepress is about $14.99, but if you want to make money you have to add to that so your final design will be $16.99. So you make $2. I can get a white tee from a distributor for about $2 and then after ink and the transfer paper, one white tee costs me about $5 to make. I'm sure that Cafepress is getting tees at a huge discount since they order so much more. Also I have ordered some of my own designs from them to see the quality, and well it is very poor. If the shirt they print is messed up they don't care. They just send it. I could go on and on about how terrible I think they are, but I think you get the point.

The only benefit is that you can set up for free to get started. That would at least let you see if you can have better results without spending any money.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't have a CafePress store, but I have a Zazzle store, and they're great. Many, many people at Zazzle have switched from CafePress because they said it pretty much sucks. At CafePress they only allow a 10% commission, but at Zazzle you can set your commission price to anything you want and make as much money as you desire (keeping the price within reason of course).

They also have a great community and friendly staff. Not only that, but you can make money with the affiliate program, you don't even need to sell your own stuff, but you can help to sell other people's stuff and make money that way!

CafePress may be the front-runner in terms of traffic, but I think Zazzle will soon be the #1 place in future.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't have a CafePress store, but I have a Zazzle store, and they're great. Many, many people at Zazzle have switched from CafePress because they said it pretty much sucks. At CafePress they only allow a 10% commission, but at Zazzle you can set your commission price to anything you want and make as much money as you desire (keeping the price within reason of course).

They also have a great community and friendly staff. Not only that, but you can make money with the affiliate program, you don't even need to sell your own stuff, but you can help to sell other people's stuff and make money that way!

CafePress may be the front-runner in terms of traffic, but I think Zazzle will soon be the #1 place in future.
I think maybe I need to try out Zazzle.:D I figured it was just the same as Cafepress.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm curious to the results of joining CafePress or Zazzle compared to creating your own site with some sort of open source content management system like Wordpress or Drupal, adding your own shopping cart, and trying to market it yourself... It would be really interesting if someone started one of each at the same time, accounting for all cost, time, and success, and shared the results!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm curious to the results of joining CafePress or Zazzle compared to creating your own site with some sort of open source content management system like Wordpress or Drupal, adding your own shopping cart, and trying to market it yourself... It would be really interesting if someone started one of each at the same time, accounting for all cost, time, and success, and shared the results!
That would be really interesting. I'm sure a lot of people do just that, though and could probably tell you. The good thing about Zazzle or CafePress is you don't have to do anything except upload designs. So it would be quite easy to run your own separate shop as well and leave those two as passive income.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have had some tees printed and bought others from different sellers through cafe press and the quality is all over the place. I've seen a lot of sloppy heat transfer work where they leave huge amounts of transfer paper showing that is very unattractive and the direct print ink isn't as rich as you'd expect/desire.
Only ordered one so far from zazzle, came out pretty good.

·
Registered
679 Posts
"Cafepress the best?", that's a good one...:) Think of it this way McDonalds sells a billion burgers, but do they make the best burgers? No, if anything cafepress is the worst of the big PODs. Horrible quality + low commissions.

I've mentioned this before, but I spent a year on CP & after being fed up, started my own site and procured a contract printer. Now I print all of my own gear. Best decision EVER. Of course using CP & other PODs have their place, you only have to work on designs and marketing..

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
One thing to note about CafePress is that you can still set your price to anything you want and you can still make as much commission as you want to from your store when you make sales directly to your store.

There's no reason to "get lost" in any other merchants if you think of CafePress as just hosting your store and printing/shipping your products.

Don't think of them as a "mall" or a "marketplace". Just focus on the same traditional (and non traditional) marketing and advertising that you'd have to do if you had your own website. Drive traffic to your cafepress.com/yourstore website and you can make as high of markup as you want on your products.

You don't even have to have your products listed in their marketplace. But if you do, I'd suggest looking at those sales as bonus over the sales you're already working on generating directly through your store.

I can get a white tee from a distributor for about $2 and then after ink and the transfer paper, one white tee costs me about $5 to make.
CafePress isn't using inkjet transfers on their t-shirts. They are using high quality DTG printing. There's a big difference to the end customer between the 2 printing methods.

There are also a lot of other costs involved in making a t-shirt besides the t-shirt, paper and ink. CafePress has to cover those costs (hosting, payment processing, electricity, customer service employees, printing employees, phone bills, etc) and still make a profit and leave you room for a profit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
One thing that is worth considering is to use a place like CE to get started. Get used to setting up a store, creating your t-shirts, getting the image output right, playing with the store layout etc. So you could get a store started and once you have a good understanding of the basic things like above you could decide to carry on for awhile until you build up a customer base or get right in straight away and use other methods for your own ecommerce site.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Yeah, me too!! I signed up with CP but I also see that not much money can be made if you still have to pay $14 or $15 for a blank shirt plus the printing, you would have to mark up your tshirt to $30 or so..........

BTW great Thread.....helped me make up my mind about not using them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts