T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if its possible to use a white discharge ink to bleach the desired area white and then use sublimation to print on that white area. Obviously on dark garments like black.

:D

· Registered
139 Posts
discharge ink shouldn't affect a heat transfer if the discharge is cured and the heat transfer bonds with the fibers ... though ... I would ask why you would want to make such a huge badge of sweat for a person when you're using a primary process to avoid heavy ink build up? You could on the other hand just use standard plastisols or water based inks to do the color overlays over the discharge flood color. (after you flash cure the discharge) I have seen that done rather successfully especially in jobs with 4 or 5 spot colors on vibrant tees. you could possibly also use a plastisol heat transfer ... though it would be a waste of time since by the time you ran your discharge, cured, re-stacked the shirts, went to your heat press and had to hand line up (without registration) your prints to the discharge and pressed them all ... you can probably run them with inks and still keep the ink build up pretty thin without sacrificing quality.

· Registered
1 Posts
I was just wondering if its possible to use a white discharge ink to bleach the desired area white and then use sublimation to print on that white area. Obviously on dark garments like black.

:D
I know this topic is old but it's totally easy to use discharge white then sublimate. You have to use polymide powder... Discharge, Print on a non stick paper, use polymide powder, then press at 400 degrees 30 seconds.

· Registered
335 Posts
I know this topic is old but it's totally easy to use discharge white then sublimate. You have to use polymide powder... Discharge, Print on a non stick paper, use polymide powder, then press at 400 degrees 30 seconds.
Your instructions are not too clear

Are you saying to print the discharge base on a non stick paper and sprinkle the polymide powder over the discharge base? Then what? Semi cure and transfer base to the shirt?
Can the polymide be mixed into the discharge and printed? The reason I ask is because I’ve seen sublimation over 100% cotton discharge before, but it’s a one step process, so I figure the polymide (in liquid form, is mixed into the base..

· Registered
4,499 Posts
Interesting, but HA! these guys make it harder than it needs to be :p

I've done it with screen sprinted discharge. Need heather cotton/poly blend shirts, like Gildan 64000 in heather colors. Also need to wash it before getting too excited about how it looks, as the ink will wash out of the cotton fibers.

· Registered
1,117 Posts
Also need to wash it before getting too excited about how it looks, as the ink will wash out of the cotton fibers.
Yeah, I keep waiting for all of these creators to actually wash their stuff and see how that works out. The closest I've been able to find to somebody doing the entire process is somebody who used vinegar and a scrub pad to remove the image from a coffee mug that she had sublimated. It worked. And then she tried to sublimate the same image onto the cup and it failed. It almost seems disingenuous that so many creators do all of that work and then leave out the most important step. I guess "most important" is subjective, though.

· Registered
4,499 Posts
Yeah, I keep waiting for all of these creators to actually wash their stuff and see how that works out. The closest I've been able to find to somebody doing the entire process is somebody who used vinegar and a scrub pad to remove the image from a coffee mug that she had sublimated. It worked. And then she tried to sublimate the same image onto the cup and it failed. It almost seems disingenuous that so many creators do all of that work and then leave out the most important step. I guess "most important" is subjective, though.
Yeah, I know the UTuber you are thinking of with the mug-n-scrub video. Obviously she scrubbed off the polyester coating, so no longer a sublimation blank :eek:. She gets points for completeness, but it's often because she hasn't done the process before and doesn't believe in (or know how) to edit video ... long videos o_O But often something to learn from them, if only by example of what not to do.

One of the prolific bleach shirt people did show After-Washed images ... no idea at this point who that was, but it was helpful to see.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.