T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, this is a great forum and filled with great info! I had a basic question about my start up and was hoping you could give me some feedback.

I want to start selling Tee's online, I'm good with web design & SEO so I have that going for me, however I don't have any "unique" designs of my own for shirts.

I was planning on buying a good quality 15x15 or 16x20 press and just starting with a good selection of transfers that I will order from a place. Vintage transfers, Bands, Funny sayings etc.

If I can market my site properly is there anything wrong with doing it this way?

I don't want to "re-invent the wheel" so to speak, just want to build a flashy site, promote it well and sell popular tee's online at a good price.

Any advice would be great! Also, if anyone can recommend good sources for popular high quality heat transfers I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

· Registered
387 Posts
What's your goal in the t-shirt industry? It sounds to me like you're just in it for the money. Ironically, I think the most successful t-shirt/clothing designers are NOT in it for the money, but instead in it for the love of art, design, clothing, and the industry as a whole. You may want to consider this before jumping in!

· Premium Member
12,270 Posts
If I can market my site properly is there anything wrong with doing it this way?
If you can market your site properly, then no, not as such. But without an original product or a unique selling proposition, it's going to be very difficult to market your site properly. Essentially your USP is better marketing. That's a bit dubious (although not impossible).

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I think it will be hard to enter a market dominated by websites like snorg, busted tees, 80's tees, and threadless when you aren't offering anything original. Why would anyone choose you over a more popular website?
Well that's why I said, "is it okay to START this way". I dont plan on just hocking Tees that someone can get anywhere. I just want to have some designs to start with. :)

But there are many sites selling the same products from shirts to anything else. Im not afraid of the Snorg's of the world if I can find a way to sell differently, or market better than they do. (i.e. a Facebook app I'm working on)

Thanks for the reply!

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What's your goal in the t-shirt industry? It sounds to me like you're just in it for the money. Ironically, I think the most successful t-shirt/clothing designers are NOT in it for the money, but instead in it for the love of art, design, clothing, and the industry as a whole. You may want to consider this before jumping in!
Well yes, like ANY business I would start I'm looking to make it profitable. Isn't that a given?

I hope your "love of art and design" can pay your bills :)

Seriously tho, just because I myself am not a graphic designer or artist, or because I don't live and breathe "art" shouldn't ruin my chances of being successful if i can get my product in front of an audience that wants to buy it, right?

· Registered
132 Posts
u feel optimistic about the idea? u think it will work? don't listen to anyone, just go ahead..

ur idea might or might not work, but at least u gave it a shot. i'm sure if u get a designer to provide you with his own designs for a small amount of money and u take it up from there, you'll work it up gradually.

good luck

· Registered
1,881 Posts
Artist (like everyone else) are a dime a dozen. If you can make a product that is of the quality and price people will buy, all you need is an eye for "talent". Go around to the Jr colleges art departments and put up a notice that you pay cash for certain type designs (t-shirt art?) and you will get plenty of wanna bees wanting the bucks and exposure. Buy unlimited rights to use and give the artist credit and you will both have a possible winning situation. If you want to be cheap, don't ask for copyright. Leave the artist those to resell the design for more money if it takes off (you can still make and sell the design) and you can get unique designs for like 20 bucks a pop. My problem is I don't screen print (yet?) and don't think the stock transfers that everyone can already buy and or the inkjet transfers are of a good enough quality to build a business on unless you take it to special markets. Family matters changing recently have made me alter my plans to go to open air markets/shows/events so I'm still feeling out where I can fit my capability's and investments into a profitable situation. I'm afraid that my marketing will wind up being strictly online and that will be a difficult place for me to be exceptionally noticeable and competitive, both of which I think would need to happen to be profitable. Good luck, but if I were able to get away, I'd just about rather get a job.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
u feel optimistic about the idea? u think it will work? don't listen to anyone, just go ahead..

ur idea might or might not work, but at least u gave it a shot. i'm sure if u get a designer to provide you with his own designs for a small amount of money and u take it up from there, you'll work it up gradually.

good luck
Thanks for the kind post! I agree.

· Registered
232 Posts
Nothing wrong with starting an online store.

Look at Wal-Mart. Absolutely no creativity to speak of and is one of the largest companies in the world. Someone has to appeal to the lowest common denominator (and the good news for you is that there do seem to be a lot of them out there to appeal to).

· Registered
132 Posts
Well yes, like ANY business I would start I'm looking to make it profitable. Isn't that a given?

I hope your "love of art and design" can pay your bills :)

Seriously tho, just because I myself am not a graphic designer or artist, or because I don't live and breathe "art" shouldn't ruin my chances of being successful if i can get my product in front of an audience that wants to buy it, right?
I can agree with that. I think a more business minded individual would be way more successful than a creative one. There are many great artists out there that no one knows of because they either don't know how to market themselves or just don't care to. I consider myself to be the creative type and have no business sense whatsoever. Its something I need to change or else I'm gonna get nowhere quick. So if you have a good business sense then you have a great chance at having at least a little success. Just keep researching.
The best of luck to you.

· Registered
463 Posts
Artist (like everyone else) are a dime a dozen. If you can make a product that is of the quality and price people will buy, all you need is an eye for "talent". Go around to the Jr colleges art departments and put up a notice that you pay cash for certain type designs (t-shirt art?) and you will get plenty of wanna bees wanting the bucks and exposure. Buy unlimited rights to use and give the artist credit and you will both have a possible winning situation. If you want to be cheap, don't ask for copyright. Leave the artist those to resell the design for more money if it takes off (you can still make and sell the design) and you can get unique designs for like 20 bucks a pop. My problem is I don't screen print (yet?) and don't think the stock transfers that everyone can already buy and or the inkjet transfers are of a good enough quality to build a business on unless you take it to special markets. Family matters changing recently have made me alter my plans to go to open air markets/shows/events so I'm still feeling out where I can fit my capability's and investments into a profitable situation. I'm afraid that my marketing will wind up being strictly online and that will be a difficult place for me to be exceptionally noticeable and competitive, both of which I think would need to happen to be profitable. Good luck, but if I were able to get away, I'd just about rather get a job.
People like you make me sick.

People (like artists) are not a dime a dozen! There is a huge difference between a junior college student and an industry vet.

"You will get plenty of wanna bees wanting the bucks and exposure"

Or Maybe you'll get an artist that wants to be paid for their time. What kind of work would you do for $20? How long would you spend? If you pay $20 for a design your going to get a $20 design. Pay for the best and you'll get the best.

· Registered
1,881 Posts
Well get out the barf bucket and stick your head in it cause here comes another one.What I'm saying is there a million "doodlers" out there with some talent that don't expect to do much with their talent EXCEPT doodle. At least people like me are giving them a chance to try their putting their work out on the market where it'll have a chance to become recognizable and leaving their future open to grow. I'm sure you would rather someone paid stuffed shirts 2 or 3 hundred bucks for something they can get for twenty, Thats the way over stuffed egos (like yours seems to be) can be made to feel a lot more important than they are in reality. What about all the "starving artist " sales where public can buy sofa sized paintings with good frames for 25 bucks. You probably think" Well, they have no right to sell those paintings that cheep". A lot of talent goes wasted because no one offers them anything and they never get any EXPOSURE to try their ideas out. I give kids more chances to become a marketable talent than you do. Now you can pull you head out of the barf bucket and pretend that you are the worlds most talented and valuable person in the loop again. But be warned, every other person in this world is just as important and valuable as you think you are. And we all don't just lay down and worship some stuffed suit because they have a little talent.

· Registered
174 Posts
Go for it upnya!

You have an idea that has proven to be profitable to others in the past. The important part is that you have the idea. Don't let negative comments made by others take any wind out of your sails.

As for starting with transfers, I think it will be a good way to start. However, you should also plan on expanding into all other types of printing as well. You will be limited with transfers, but you will be able to get shirts sold and hopefully put some of the profit into upgrading to other types of printing.

Best of luck to you!

· Registered
463 Posts
Well get out the barf bucket and stick your head in it cause here comes another one.What I'm saying is there a million "doodlers" out there with some talent that don't expect to do much with their talent EXCEPT doodle. At least people like me are giving them a chance to try their putting their work out on the market where it'll have a chance to become recognizable and leaving their future open to grow. I'm sure you would rather someone paid stuffed shirts 2 or 3 hundred bucks for something they can get for twenty, Thats the way over stuffed egos (like yours seems to be) can be made to feel a lot more important than they are in reality. What about all the "starving artist " sales where public can buy sofa sized paintings with good frames for 25 bucks. You probably think" Well, they have no right to sell those paintings that cheep". A lot of talent goes wasted because no one offers them anything and they never get any EXPOSURE to try their ideas out. I give kids more chances to become a marketable talent than you do. Now you can pull you head out of the barf bucket and pretend that you are the worlds most talented and valuable person in the loop again. But be warned, every other person in this world is just as important and valuable as you think you are. And we all don't just lay down and worship some stuffed suit because they have a little talent.
So let me get this right. You're the one helping starving artists because you will only pay $20 for a t-shirt design. I am hurting them by paying them what they're worth.

Artists have to start somewhere but I'm sure most of them would prefer not to work for terrible clients like you that think $20 is a fair price no matter how inexperienced they are.

· Registered
132 Posts
So let me get this right. You're the one helping starving artists because you will only pay $20 for a t-shirt design. I am hurting them by paying them what they're worth.

Artists have to start somewhere but I'm sure most of them would prefer not to work for terrible clients like you that think $20 is a fair price no matter how inexperienced they are.
I know when I was younger I did flyer designs for really cheap just so I could get some experience and exposure. At the time getting paid didn't really matter to me, I was just grateful to be getting the opportunities. Then after a while when I felt comfortable with everything I then went more legit and started charging what I felt I was worth. So I can see how this would benefit both parties, the artist gets exposure while the printer gets what he pays for.

· Registered
461 Posts
Hi Guys, this is a great forum and filled with great info! I had a basic question about my start up and was hoping you could give me some feedback.

I want to start selling Tee's online, I'm good with web design & SEO so I have that going for me, however I don't have any "unique" designs of my own for shirts.

I was planning on buying a good quality 15x15 or 16x20 press and just starting with a good selection of transfers that I will order from a place. Vintage transfers, Bands, Funny sayings etc.

I don't want to "re-invent the wheel" so to speak, just want to build a flashy site, promote it well and sell popular tee's online at a good price.

Any advice would be great! Also, if anyone can recommend good sources for popular high quality heat transfers I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!
I say go for it and good luck :D. No matter if it's a designer, or a printer everyone has aspirations. If the designer doesn't like your offer of 20.00 then they don't have to accept it and you can move on. But maybe there is someone out there who is more interested in the exposure than money. If we all sat around and based our decisions on the views of someone else, I doubt alot would get done and even fewer aspirations would be realized. Go for it and don't look back.

· Registered
66 Posts
Wow guys take it easy !
People go into business' for differing reasons. If it's for the "art" then the art has to be your motivation and profit has to be secondary to that until a fan base develops. If it's for the money, then the business plan has to reign supreme first so that you can keep the business on track. That may involve buying other people's designs, and/or hiring an artist, and possibly investing in high volume equipment etc. Whatever you're ultimate motivation is, will set the path that you will have to take and your success has to be measured by that. How a person measures success is determined by what he/she wants to achieve ultimately.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.