T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im 16 and barely have enough to buy my shirts and have someone print on them let alone copyright my logo.

Do you think It would be safe to sell my shirts at school for a month or two before legaly claiming my logo as mine?

Opinions?

·
Registered
985 Posts
I might be wrong, but aren't you be selling them to kids your age, who probably barely could buy YOUR t-shirts ?
I don't think you should be worried about it now.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
It's always good to CYA "Cover Your Assets" but as with most things, you really need to make it something for it to be worthwhile to take. I spent a few years trying to trademark, copyright, and patent quite a few things only to realize that I wound up using about 10% of what I thought I truly needed. Nevertheless, couldn't hurt to run it by an attorney, perhaps you know someone who could assist you.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
You trademark a logo, rather than copyright it, and many businesses don't actually do it for years after they start (if at all).

There's not much point spending money on registering intellectual property you can't afford to litigate if stolen.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Technically putting a 'tm' when you haven't filed or even petitioned to file is illegal. Save yourself the heartache and pay the $275 for a 'tm' under the 'intent to use' category. That way, if you are really serious about your brand, that can buy you some time to come up with additional funds to actually fund each category and provide 'specimens,' aka samples, to the USPTO of your trademark as used in commerce. Nonetheless I'd say to get the advice of an attorney...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Take one of your shirts and mail it to someone (a friend) out of state and send it certified mail. Keep all the copies from the post office and put them in a safe file. This puts you into the inter commerce of selling your product and helps you if you have to prove "when" you started selling the t-shirts.

·
Registered
804 Posts
it only costs like 150 to have it done by a lawyer..then once it clears it like 325 or something........ i mean if you cant afford that right now then wtf...... it'll cover your butt later if you ever plan on doing anything with the line....

b

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
i mean if you cant afford that right now then wtf......
I'd agree in principle in regards to someone trying to start a full scale business, but bear in mind the thread starter is 16. If you're printing a few shirts for direct sale, re-investing profits into greater inventory, etc. it's a viable way to start a business... but doesn't indicate you necessarily have the spare capital for, say, a trademark.

Not much point spending the money if spending the money will end up killing your business through under-capitalisation. A website, new designs, tags, etc. would all be a better way to spend the money (more likely to actually contribute to the success and longevity of your business), and will actually make it easier to prove you have a legitimate claim for the trademark when the time is right.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Take one of your shirts and mail it to someone (a friend) out of state and send it certified mail. Keep all the copies from the post office and put them in a safe file. This puts you into the inter commerce of selling your product and helps you if you have to prove "when" you started selling the t-shirts.
This is just another version of poor man's copyright, which is a myth. Doing this offers no legal protection whatsoever. If you Google "poor man's copyright" you will see a lot more info about it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts