T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Don't know about them, but most brands are sold as imprintables and aren't to be sold without customization of some kind. Put a neck label on them or something and make them your brand.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Why would you?

You'll get them from AA and then mark them up, right? Why wouldnt they(your customers) just go to AA themselves and get them like you did?

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Is it legal? Unless you've signed a contract with AA saying you won't do it, yes.

However, if AA catches you doing it they will shut off your supply. They do not want you doing this.

Part of the agreement with AA of buying blanks is that you won't re-sell them blank. I doubt they can make that legally binding without a contract, but they don't have to sell to you either. They can and will refuse service.

And while in my opinion it's legal, I can't guarantee it. The only thing I can guarantee is that as far as AA is concerned, you're not allowed to do it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses!
Interesting response, Lewis. I called them today and they said you CANNOT sell blank shirts. So they need to be printed on. Hah, I wish it was legal...I'd be rolling in the $$$! Thanks for all your help! (But I doubt they're tracking the small small businesses selling blanks).

·
2,957 Posts
I don't see how the rules still apply.

I know for a fact that there are distributors that you can buy AA from with no mention at all of not reselling the blanks.

AA makes it known when you setup an account with them, that by setting up the account with them, you agree to not resell the blanks. There are distributors that don't have that stipulation.

You can buy AA from many distributors, resell them blank, and there is absolutely nothing AA can do about that. They don't like, don't want you to do it, but nothing that they can do to stop you.

·
Registered
6 Posts

I know for a fact that there are distributors that you can buy AA from with no mention at all of not reselling the blanks.

AA makes it known when you setup an account with them, that by setting up the account with them, you agree to not resell the blanks. There are distributors that don't have that stipulation.

You can buy AA from many distributors, resell them blank, and there is absolutely nothing AA can do about that. They don't like, don't want you to do it, but nothing that they can do to stop you.
You can sell them at a markup. You need to make sure that you have an Tax ID, a resale certificate from the state, business license, and a county tax certificate.

This is one of the problems with the industry. Seems all the vendors will give anybody an account these days!

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
I've no doubt that if AA finds out, they'll have the supply cut off (though perhaps it's a big if they find out).

Distributors do sometimes refuse accounts, refuse to keep stocking accounts, etc. So it's not like they're unwilling to cut off supply. AA are a far more important client than any given customer of the distributor. I have no doubt that if AA asked, the distributor would close an account. And no doubt that AA would ask if they caught someone.

In other words, I don't think it's true that there's nothing they can do about it. Just that they can't completely stop it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
This is a response to me from AA in regards to buying blanks for resell as blanks.

Thank you for your interest in American Apparel.

In reviewing your request for access to our wholesale price list, I must let you know you do not qualify. American Apparel limits access and sales to the following type of companies for resale:

• Advertising Specialty
  • Embellishers (such as screen printers or embroiderers, etc.)
We do not sell wholesale to companies reselling our garments blank. If you feel you qualify, please respond with a brief explanation. Alternately, you may have your embellisher contact us for the wholesale price list or contact one of our distributors:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts