T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a printing company and today I had a situation where my customer said that he will start to buy from Gildan because his wholesale application got approved. They are a clothing line... is that possible or they lied in their application?

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
I believe Gildan will sell retail from their site in the USA and I took a quick look at mygildan.com and found they they refer me to wholesalers. I checked for AussieLand and it didn't have pricing or an application process that I saw.

If he supplies the shirts I would still charge the markup on the shirt and also not replace any misprints.

·
Registered
Premium HTV, Mutoh Digital Printers, Inks, Orafol Premium Films, Anatol Equipment
14 Posts
Didn't Gildan have closures due to Covid 19 outbreaks in their facilities? I was under the impression they were finding it challenging to meet demand for their products, at leasrt in North America. This alone would make it unlikely they would sell to end users, when they cannot meet commitments to their dealers.

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
Didn't Gildan have closures due to Covid 19 outbreaks in their facilities? I was under the impression they were finding it challenging to meet demand for their products, at leasrt in North America. This alone would make it unlikely they would sell to end users, when they cannot meet commitments to their dealers.
Yes they did. I am seeing some inventory come back over the last couple of weeks. I still think that we will have supply chain problems over the next 18 months as forecasting will be all screwed up.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
your customer may have acquired a wholesale license agreement from gildan,
but are probably skirting the rules as they are neither a wholesaler or decorator

here is a quote from their australian application form:
Our distribution is limited to genuine Wholesalers / Decorators
so you could rat them out to gildan, or simply discount your wholesale cost from the tee's for their supplying the garment
that way they do all the ordering/storing/etc, saving you time and money
as binki said, make sure they know any misprints will be up to them to re-supply the garment

once your customer realizes he is actually losing time and money they will wise up,
no other decorator is going to give him a smoking deal for supplying their own garments

hopefully you never itemized the costs for any customer
if you have, you need to stop, and only give a final price per unit

·
Registered
110 Posts
We do not take in garments to print. We do for embroidery and have a customer release that we won't replace damaged garments (just ONE damaged retail purchased garment could eat up a LOT of profit if you have to replace it!) The way we turn down brought-in garments for print is to tell the customer we charge the SAME PRICE whether you bring it in or we supply it. That gets their attention quick and they realize their fire sale savings just flew out the window. We are not a contract printer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yesterday the Gildan Manager in Australia called me to talk about this situation. She said this is a common practice to sell to clothing lines because they are decorators too. She said other brands such as Ramo, AS Colour, do the same. Well I think I should change my BYO garment policy. Because we charge the same price for printing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts