T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I purchased the entry level flash dryer from Vastex which does not have forced air and since then have been working with water based inks. Everything I've read from ink manufacturers to advice on forums like this indicates that water based inks cure best with forced air, however when I called Vastex to inquire about upgrading to a forced air unit I was told that forced air actually slows the curing process down because you are introducing cooled air to the surface of the shirt which increases the time it takes to turn trapped moisture in the fibers to steam. I was also told that on a flash unit air movement is unnecessary because steam rises and falls out of the sides anyway. Finally, this salesman actually said to me that he doesn't use forced air in his own shop on water based inks and as a result saves on average 28 seconds per cure.

Does anyone else have experience comparing curing methods with and without forced air on water based ink?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have been messing with water base inks and discharge the last few months. I use a regular black body flash and an electric dryer and have no problem. I was also looking into getting an forced air flash unit, My friend had a workhorse forced air flash and that thing was slow.

The only thing that I have to do sometimes is run my shirts through the dryer twice, but only when doing discharge. When using just water base inks on light garment I can get by just running them through once.

Hope that helps, I will also keep checking in here to see what others say. Black Body does make a forced air flash that I am looking into. Since I am thinking of getting a new dryer from them.

·
Registered
81 Posts
zoiko,
Thanks for the info... I have a black body dryer and have been curious as to if I should even try doing water base and or discharge inks because everything I read it seemed like I would need something different. I am fairly new to screen printing a little over a year...
I would be interested in what anyone else has to say about dryers and water base and discharge inks.

What is the curing temp on water base and discharge inks?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.