T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you, one major clientele is small businesses order from a few to 50 or so shirts. Many of these designs are 2-5 colors and are mostly placed on the back and on the front chest. Will i lose any quality going from screen to DTG ? How many of you are currently using your DTG for these types of orders ?

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
It sucks when no one reply your seriouse question. Dtg is What you need. Under 100 shirts regardless how many colors. Dtg has favor 100%. Not to one color though.
You will gain quality than lose. Set up cost of screen printing is not joke.
This Is dtg section. Most of here are Dtg printers or want a be. To your question all are using dtg here. As same you go to ski resort there will be all skiers.
Cheers! Beers are on me always?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
It sucks when no one reply your seriouse question.
Sorry, I was slacking.. :eek:

I agree with Peter!

Some key points:

-Do your research > DTG Section is the most helpful area
-Visit an end user
(PM Peter he can set you up with someone in your area)
-Go to a show (ISS, NBM) see these machines in action
-Ask questions
-Just because its the most expensive doesn't mean its the best > I can't stress this enough<
-Don't believe the hype (Public Enemy)

Beers and Cheers on Peter as always :)
*this is a fact*

·
Registered
436 Posts
As many of you, one major clientele is small businesses order from a few to 50 or so shirts. Many of these designs are 2-5 colors and are mostly placed on the back and on the front chest. Will i lose any quality going from screen to DTG ? How many of you are currently using your DTG for these types of orders ?
I'm sure everyone will have their own opinion based on what's best for their particular business, however, I suspect that many Screen printers DO rely on a DTG printer for the smaller jobs (1-100 shirts). In fact, DTG is great for doing any job that falls below your standard screen printing minimums (unless of course you'd rather turn those customers away).

IMO, you won't lose any "quality" with DTG. However, high quality DTG prints do require a good DTG printer, a good RIP program, and a good pre-treatment technique. The brand and the quality of the garment (that you print on) can also effect the final outcome. In other words, you can't just push a button and expect great results.

Personally, I've yet to see a DTG printer that out-performs the NeoFlex printer with respect to the quality of the print.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Personally, I've yet to see a DTG printer that out-performs the NeoFlex printer with respect to the quality of the print.
GOOD MORNING TSF!
:confused: but opinion is opinion. This is why open forum is good thing.:)
On any voting of history of USA no one had all vote or none vote. Never will be. At least go out vote is the good thing. I never missed once ever since I obtain citizenship.(27yrs ago) Rule is we do not ask who you vote usually.
My vote is not cheap. I learn about every single one. Detail as possible. Go to their speech, watch tv, read paper, searching Internet, i request their promotion flyers, sometimes I send money too.
Compapre all line by line. I am sure you are same too. Many are wasting vote because he is friend of friends or race or good looking --- etc. This is why we had 2007 economy crises. It was our fault to choose wrong person. Nov is coming soon. Let's do it right for you and us. Make a long lists. Strike off one by one. It will take you to the better position.
Cheers! Beers are on me always.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It sucks when no one reply your seriouse question. Dtg is What you need. Under 100 shirts regardless how many colors. Dtg has favor 100%. Not to one color though.
You will gain quality than lose. Set up cost of screen printing is not joke.
This Is dtg section. Most of here are Dtg printers or want a be. To your question all are using dtg here. As same you go to ski resort there will be all skiers.
Cheers! Beers are on me always?
Pete,

Can you elaborate on why DTG is not for 1 color designs ?

Sorry if this questions is very elementary...

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I would be interested in seeing a quote comparison between Dtg and screen printing for a one and two color print on a dark shirt and light shirt. On a qty of say like 25. Smaller shops often have smaller minimums and competitive pricing due to their low overhead. Not planning on placing an order just for educational purposes.

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
What some dont understand and I have seen this over and over through the years, is that DTG and Screen printing fill two completely different markets. Screen printing is great for large orders, minimal colors, lesser detail in designs.

Dtg fills the market for high detail, many colors, being able to change and customize each garment, small quantities.

They both fill markets that are needed but you need to know what market you fall into. With my business I printed small quantities, usually under a hundred garments, sometimes more, but more often smaller. I did images that had very detailed designs, a lot of color, and were customized such as being able to put different names and numbers on each garment. With screen printing you are not able to do this.

So what is your market? First figure that out and if you fit into the dtg market with your customers, then go to the shows both ISS and SGIA, look at all the different machines as they are all built different. Don't go by prints you get at a show as to what the quality of the print is, as most shirts I have gotten printed at shows have been over pretreated, so the ink colors pop more, but when you wash them, there is a lot of wash out because of too much pretreat. My advice on really understanding each machine is to go to each manufacturers local distributor, have them take you through the whole process, from showing you how they pretreat, all the way through printing and curing, as well as showing you what features their rip programs have. Bring your own file for them to print, then take the samples home from them and test wash them. This is what I did when I bought my HM1.

Going directly to the distributor, they have more time to spend with you answering your questions and showing you how each individual machine works, as well as the rip software it comes with. You will get much more information by visiting them directly then talking to them at shows. This will also give you a great idea of how their customer service is, which is a very important part of buying a machine since it is a big investment. You want to know they will be there for you if you need them, in case any issues may come up with your machine, or you need help with anything.

Like when I bought my HM1, I went to their facility and they provided me with a full day of training, and I was welcome to come to them anytime after that if I had any issues for any type of additional training I might need, although I never needed it, it was available to me.

These are just a few things to think about. Also read and talk to end users as Carla suggested. Talk to people that own each different machine. If they are like me, most would be more then happy to talk to you and tell you of their individual experience with their machine.

In this section of the forum there is a wealth of information that can also get you going in the right direction :) This is where I first started, and went from there :D

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
Oh and on the question of doing one color images, since no one really addressed that queston. If you are doing one color prints on white shirts, it will only cost you cents to print, very cheap. If you are printing white ink for one color however, there is a lot more work involved to do a one color print. You have to pretreat first and that takes a bit more time. I found that it was easier for me on one color images to use a vinyl cutter and use a very thin vinyl that felt like ink. When I was doing multiple one color shirts I could cut all the vinyl all at one time, such as white vinyl on black, and then just weed the vinyl, press them one at a time and they were done. So for me that is what I would do to save money on one color on dark garments. If it was one color on whites, I would print them with my dtg. Hope this answers that question for you :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.