T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about purchasing a large sign press such as a cameo or a Saturn Platinum or such to print all over prints on t-shirts. has anyone had any luck with this method
please let me know

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
thanks, I know I should have googled them first but I appreciate the reply, :)
do you think they can do all over, multi-color printing on shirts?
Dependng on how large the press is, yes it can print all over. Belt printers are essentially a beefed up clam shell press with capabilities to print multiple colors. As for printing multiple colors will be difficult to register as you can only print one color at a time on a sign press, cure, then line up the shirt and screen for the next color.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Buy a used press. We do this on a Filbar. 1-color, distressed art that will not show irregularities in the print. We then over print using our regular garment press. Plus, it now gets you into other textile and non-textile (decal/bumper sticker/sign) printing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I Was thinking to use a waterbase or discharge ink for a one color background all over print so registering the print for multiple colors would be unnessary.
the main thing that i was wondering about is if those types or presses had enough downforce to do a good print. I had the chance to try a filbar press to experiment with and it would work only if i pressed down on the end of the screen to add pressure but doing so created a nightmare and raised havoc with my off contact as well as having a constant ink deposit through out the print run

·
Registered
752 Posts
We thought about water based ink and initially used it. Unfortunately, the time it takes to load/unload/print caused too much drying in the screen. We are now using 230/280 mesh w/ plastisol. Create your art with the understanding of what you can/can not do with this press and it should serve you well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
when you printed your shirts did you lay the the shirt on the printing table or did you make some sort of pallet?

·
Registered
752 Posts
We laid it as flat as we could on the vacuum bed. We used the vacuum to hold the shirt in place as well as possible. Not perfect, but if your art is designed correctly, any flaws will look like part of the image and won't be noticed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts