T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone here currently a pilot or has been one? Specifically, has anyone actually flown helicopters?

AB

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Had a Benson autogiro once. Was using it for two years until someone told me I was supposed to have a license. Have flown light planes too.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, so someone has flown! :)

I'd like to schedule an intro Helicopter flight before the cold weather hits. The location offering this flight is also training facility. Part of me wants to pursue a heli license but I must admit, I have concerns/fears.

I've read a few stories on women who were very skilled in flying copters but crashed them. Two of the copter models were R44s from these crashes. Only one of the stories made sense about why there was a crash, as fog was believed to have been a factor. But the others did not appear as a result of weather nor a faulty aircraft. It of course makes me ask how could this happen to professionals and how well could I avoid disaster as a newbie learning?

This is not a career move for me in considering a license. This would be for my own desire to do it as I feel helicopters are neat & fun aircrafts compared to airplanes.

Perhaps I should start practice with a radio controlled model and simulator? :eek:

AB

·
Registered
406 Posts
My cousin actually had a helicopter crash during his training. They did a no power emergency landing that went bad. Neither him or the instructor could have stopped the crash I guess. Nobody got hurt though. He carries a small piece of the windshield in his wallet as a reminder. That was a $250,000 booboo.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My cousin actually had a helicopter crash during his training. They did a no power emergency landing that went bad. Neither him or the instructor could have stopped the crash I guess. Nobody got hurt though. He carries a small piece of the windshield in his wallet as a reminder. That was a $250,000 booboo.
Oh goodness..I'm going to forget you said that! That did not help me at all. :rolleyes:

Glad to know that no one got hurt. :)

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
Ms Blue...shame shame on you...the remark about women and helicopter..sure they have crashed...but so have many more men...a lot of crashes are result of over confidence on the part of the pilots..but women due just great in the military...both fixed wing and rotary...so go for it...after all you do drive a car as they said and there are many more deaths per mile traveled in cars than in helicopters...

by the way...do you eat potatoes???? if so you should stop...because a study was done in my area on recent deaths and they found that over 90% of the ones who died had eaten potatoes within the past 30 days....so...see how facts can be twisted???? :)

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ms Blue...shame shame on you...the remark about women and helicopter..sure they have crashed...but so have many more men...a lot of crashes are result of over confidence on the part of the pilots..but women due just great in the military...both fixed wing and rotary...so go for it...after all you do drive a car as they said and there are many more deaths per mile traveled in cars than in helicopters...

by the way...do you eat potatoes???? if so you should stop...because a study was done in my area on recent deaths and they found that over 90% of the ones who died had eaten potatoes within the past 30 days....so...see how facts can be twisted???? :)
That wasn't so nice what I said was it? I sowwy and will stand in the corner with my face towards the wall. :(

I of course have read about men crashing too. Never thought about over-confidence possibly being a reason. Maybe I'm not ready yet...this year.

Something else I have read is that there is a great need for women to enter the Aviation industry (moreso for flying planes than helicopters). I found a list of scholarships available for women only from various organizations, Delta, Federal Express and other commercial flying companies.

AB

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Taking to the sky has a comparison with no other.

Most light planes can (within reason) return safely to ground if the engines develops problems. Not so with a helicopter, as it has no ability to glide. Having said that, helicopters are used extensively with rescue services throughout the world. They run up millions of hours use every year, without incident.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That wasn't so nice what I said was it? I sowwy and will stand in the corner with my face towards the wall. :(
AB
With your comment about woman and the baby talk, I doubt that you would become a coper pilot, my sister who is 16 has just started lessons and plans on joining the army. To be any sort of pilot you need the edge, and not many people have that. And helos are a crazy and fun group.

Me, I prefer to jump of things with ropes but one day I will go skydiving :D

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With your comment about woman and the baby talk, I doubt that you would become a coper pilot, my sister who is 16 has just started lessons and plans on joining the army. To be any sort of pilot you need the edge, and not many people have that. And helos are a crazy and fun group.

Me, I prefer to jump of things with ropes but one day I will go skydiving :D
Wow, now that's impressive about your sister. Wonder why she would not join the Air Force or are copters her limit?

And did I understand that you prefer to jump OFF of things with ropes? I would hope that you would not be the one writing the instructions on how to jump. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wow, now that's impressive about your sister. Wonder why she would not join the Air Force or are copters her limit?

And did I understand that you prefer to jump OFF of things with ropes? I would hope that you would not be the one writing the instructions on how to jump. :)
That is what she has always wanted to do, fly copters for a living, and the army will give her a more hands on career whereabouts the air force wont. Here in Australia woman arent allowed in the front lines. That is slowly changing with the ADF at the moment, but Army is better for her.

And the copters her limit lmfao, you have no idea what these military people can do with a copter and a small space lol. And there is a massive difference between army and air force.

I do bungy jumping as well as repelling, and why write about it when you can do it. As unless you have actually done it, the person reading it would have no idea what its like. :D

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very cool! Now, I can assure you that bungee jumping will never be on my list to do.

You should post pics of your jumps, I imagine it has to be a real rush. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts