T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep reading about how so many people have problems with their vinyl cutters on USB ports. I am in the market for a vinyl cutter and only have a USB port to use. I am on a laptop so a COM port or Parallel port is out of the question. I am looking at getting a PCUT or a Laserpoint from US Cutters. Would a USB be a problem?

Also, I read about how some cutting software cost $100+/year. Is there software that doesn't have this yearly fee?

Thanks

·
Registered
270 Posts
I run one cutter (Roland GX24) from my USB port and have had no problems. I have another system a Roland PC-60 which i run from LPT1 and that I do have some problems from time to time. The only thing I can think of is maybe some compatability issues equiptment and USB 2.0 ports. Posibly someone else has a better answer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How about issues with Vista? I am really nervous running anything on Vista because its so unstable.

Pucking, what type of cutter are you running? I don't want to make any profit from this cutter, its purely personal and was wondering if these are good cutters for occasional use.

I really appreciate the help everyone, spending $350 on something that might not work isn't really the easiest decision. I am really computer savvy (graphic designer), but I'm still nervous.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but troubles arises (some times) on cutters with parallel or serial port only, where you need an adapter parallel-to-usb or serial-to-usb to connect to the computer. Which is not the case with GX-24, it has a built-in usb port.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I use my Gx24 with USB and with Vista. I mainly use xp, but can use on my visat machine if need arises. ... JB

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Jb, that soothes some of my worries.

Thanks for the help everyone else.

Do Laser cutters require less care, or is it equal with a blade? Thanks

·
Registered
462 Posts
In most cases, the USB connection is fine. There are some select cases where a particular computer has something else on it that conflicts with the USB driver for the cutter. I have also seen some cases where laptops with USB power saving features cause problems when using the USB connection, but these power saving features can be disabled in the BIOS in most cases.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I use my Gx24 with USB and with Vista. I mainly use xp, but can use on my visat machine if need arises. ... JB
A couple of months ago I I had to get a new desktop computer, and I could find a new Dell with Windows XP Pro, the salesman tried to sell me an HP with more memory (2Gb) for the same price. One of the reasons to say NO was I have a GX-24, and supposedly there is no driver for Windows Vista (at least there was not when I bought it last year) and the other was I don't like Vista, yet.
So, did you have any issues using the cutter with Vista?
Did you download driver specific for that OS ?

·
Registered
383 Posts
How about issues with Vista? I am really nervous running anything on Vista because its so unstable.

Pucking, what type of cutter are you running? I don't want to make any profit from this cutter, its purely personal and was wondering if these are good cutters for occasional use.

I really appreciate the help everyone, spending $350 on something that might not work isn't really the easiest decision. I am really computer savvy (graphic designer), but I'm still nervous.
I run USB on my GX-24 with Vista.... and if your vista is unstable you might want to have someone take a look at it.

·
Registered
383 Posts
A couple of months ago I I had to get a new desktop computer, and I could find a new Dell with Windows XP Pro, the salesman tried to sell me an HP with more memory (2Gb) for the same price. One of the reasons to say NO was I have a GX-24, and supposedly there is no driver for Windows Vista (at least there was not when I bought it last year) and the other was I don't like Vista, yet.
So, did you have any issues using the cutter with Vista?
Did you download driver specific for that OS ?
As mentioned I run mine with no issues at all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I downloaded the driver for vista from my GX-24, and finally got it to work correctly after playing with it. I can also run my cutter from my laptop with XP on the USB with not problems. I never could get the machine to work on a serial port.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts