T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just pressed my first IronALL transfer and I have a few questions which I'm unable to find answers for. Please keep in mind that I'm a newbie. My only other experience with heat transfer was a 6-pack of AVERY sheets, a few Fruit Of The Loom tees, and a hand-held iron.

Yesterday I printed a design on IronALL but today I noticed that the paper had curled a little bit. This did not bother me initially except when I proceeded to cut out the graphic I accidently touched the print and it smeared. The graphic was printed with ink-jet (EPSON CX5400). The settings I used were as follows: BEST/MATTE PAPER. It's also been a bit humid in my apartment and I can't figure out if the settings are too refined or if the humidity has had an effect on how poorly the inks set.

Has anyone else had issues with humidity and inks not setting properly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's a little displeasing only because the Avery paper seemed more hardy with the inks drying almost instantly. Unfortunately after a couple of washes the Avery left a lot to be desired in the quality department.

Hopefully a kind soul can provide some advice on this matter so that I may truly enjoy my IronALL paper:D...without wasting too much of it.

Cheers,
Lil' Gremlin

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Just don't touch the print on iron all, becuase it will chip off. Thats basicly the only solution. Be very carefull. The black ink tends to chip the most.

Pigmented inks are not absorbed into the iron all paper. They sit on top of it. Other papers do absorb the ink better. The iron feels so great, that its worth the trouble

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
IronAll is supposed to be very good quality, but it comes with the price of being a pain to use. You might want to check out forum member badalou's videos (linked from his signature) - I believe he covers how to use IronAll in one of them.

If you are still having problems, you might look into the Transjet II/Magic Jet paper - not quite as good as IronAll from what I'm told (I haven't had a chance to try IronAll myself yet), but a lot easier to use and still a quality print.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
jdr8271 said:
Iron vs M\transjet II...its not that one is better than the other. They are actually totally different. Iron all feels a thousand times better, but transjet holds its color better. Transjet II is straitforward to use, while the iron all requires alot of babying.
Ah, thanks for the clarification - I didn't know the exact differences since I haven't had a chance to use it myself yet (and, er, may not get one from the looks of it! TLM and NewMilford can't get any more right now...)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I ask this only because I did it................several times.

Are you sure that you printed it on the proper side of the paper? It can smear like crazy if printed on the wrong side. Wish I idn't know that. LOL

I have curling issues also. Every sheet that has curled, curled upward towards the side that should be printed on.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Ah, thanks for the clarification - I didn't know the exact differences since I haven't had a chance to use it myself yet (and, er, may not get one from the looks of it! TLM and NewMilford can't get any more right now...)
visual-color.com is selling what I believe is the same paper. They are actually selling it for alot less money, when you call them up they give you a huge discount. I should have the paper by tomorrow. Ill report back on that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To Savannah Dan...

LOL. I am printing on the treated side of the paper. Luckily, badalou's instructional videos made that point nice and sparkling clear.

Thanks badalou!

It's still pretty humid here and I'm a little worried that it might damage my remaining pile of IronALL. It's currently ziplocked in a bag with a cardboard backer so hopefully it won't spoil (if that's possible).

Before I continue using the product, I was wondering if using an exacto-knife and cutting mat would allow one to cut close to the image (or through areas with printed colour) without flaking. If anyone does this please let me know. The reason I'm asking is I want to be able to piece together a whole image using colour blocks and various other images with an end result that is larger than the standard letter-size sheet.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I use an exacto knife. It's also quicker for me that way.

Do you have one of those big ole family bibles? Put the sheets treated side down and put the bible, or some other heavy object on it. This will help keep it from curling. I do the same with printed paper that I won't be transfering for a few days.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
As there are issues in getting this paper I am making contact with the manufacture direct and may also inquire as to being a distributor on the west coast as the other distributors are on the east coast.I will get back to you all on this.. As a user and fan of this product I think I can offer more than just delivery of the product. Checking out the information.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just puchased the C88+ and have received my Ironall paper as well. I tried to print my first transfer and it totally jammed in the printer......HELP.:( Is there a way to adjust the printer? What paper setting should I use; it only offers glossy photo, semi-gloss photo, plain white paper and thick matted?

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
kns93 said:
I just puchased the C88+ and have received my Ironall paper as well. I tried to print my first transfer and it totally jammed in the printer......

That's completely normal, and all part of its quirky charm ;)

It jams a few times for most people. Some people then move on to the "oh no! my printer is completely ruined!" phase, while others either give up, or break through into the "why did I ever doubt you IronALL? you are the best paper ever!" stage.

kns93 said:
Is there a way to adjust the printer?
I believe Lou removed a couple of the feed rollers on his. He's posted a lot of tips on the forums about how to get the best out of IronALL, so a few searches will probably get you the answers a lot faster than having to wait for someone who knows how best to deal with it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Curling IA and JPSS sheets

I ask this only because I did it................several times.

Are you sure that you printed it on the proper side of the paper? It can smear like crazy if printed on the wrong side. Wish I idn't know that. LOL

I have curling issues also. Every sheet that has curled, curled upward towards the side that should be printed on.
It's so hot and HUMID here in Boston today (87 degrees and 100% humidity) I just went to use my JPSS and Iron-all and the papers were so soft and wavey. I hope they're not ruined. Boy what do you have to do in the summer, put these things in the frig! LOL! Oy!
-regina :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts