T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

I am a complete beginner at this - I can't stress that enough. I've tried reading through some of the posts on here to inform myself and just get lost. I'm just left thinking 'what does that word mean? Do I need one of those as well as those?'

I'm not stupid, but I need someone to explain the whole process from top to bottom in REALLY basic language! PLEASE help!

To give you an idea of what I need.. I want to start up a small business selling premium quality printed T Shirts. Quality is absolutely paramount. So can somebody talk me through the process of how I would achieve this?

How do I select a good T Shirt? What software do I use to make the design? How best do I get the design on to the T Shirts?

I really have no clue about equipment. Any technical or non technical tips for someone with this specific objective would be MASSIVELY appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mr. Ignorant!

·
Registered
2,497 Posts

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Hey there, Chris. Welcome to the forums.

Jon is right on target. Start by doing as much reading as you can on the many topics here on the forums. Make a list of all the different areas of the business and tasks you need to accomplish to get your brand launched. Then as specific questions come up, ask them as individual posts.

The problem with asking someone to explain the whole process is that the process is different for everyone. Everyone has a different budget, different goals, different skill sets, etc. And quite frankly, it's your business. You need to figure out what works best for you so you can maximize your chances of reaching your goals and making your business sustainable.

How do I select a good T Shirt? What software do I use to make the design? How best do I get the design on to the T Shirts?
These 3 questions encompass 3 different aspects of the business - sourcing, design and production. If you don't know much about any of these, then why are you looking to start a clothing brand? What is your skill set that makes you believe you can be successful?

I know that sounds terrible, but they are very important questions you need to ask yourself as you do your research. One of the biggest mistakes people make in this business is making themselves responsible for areas of weakness, not strengths. There are many areas in the business - legal, financial, sourcing, supply chain, design, production, sales, marketing, merchandising, brand management, distribution, etc. Figure out what you do well and focus on that, and perhaps you need to outsource the other areas.

·
Registered
332 Posts
As far as a good quality t-shirt, you need to sign up for a wholesale account with the different companies that offer tees and start ordering samples. That way you can see the quality first hand.

I worked with a screenprinter when I started my business (I was not at all interested in screenprinting), but your setup can be different depending on what you are interested in.

As far as the design, you can use photoshop or illustrator to make it.

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts