T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading this VERY old wired/webmonkey article on marketing your site via search engines:

http://www.webmonkey.com/templates/print_template.htmlt?meta=/webmonkey/01/23/index1a_meta.html

There are some nice tips in the article, although some of the information is pretty dated (using submit-it to submit your site isn't necessary or even a good option anymore :)), I think the most interesting thing about the article was a line from the last paragraph:

Paul Boutin said:
Search engine optimization can do a lot for your traffic, just like a good retail location. But it's a game of rapidly diminishing returns. That's why the people who do it professionally are consultants who keep moving from client to client.

The best strategy is to design your site to be crawled and ranked well from the start, rather than tacking on keyword-laden gateway pages and shadow domains after the fact. And if you're looking to become a world-class business, quit nit-picking your search engine ranking and look at successful Web merchants, like my hometown favorite, L.L. Bean: Their success comes from being what people are searching for in the first place.
That last line is crucial.

Be the trends, create the buzz OUTSIDE of the search engine world (offline ads, tv, magazines, local word of mouth, have unique products or unique/innovative way of doing business so you get press mentions), so people go online and search for YOU and the products/services you offer.

Still do the basics: "design your site to be crawled and ranked well from the start", but work on making yourself stand out as well!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Actually, that's an issue I spent a lot of time on and still haven't gotten to the final solution. I would like our products to reflect what people really want and have that as the end-game and let the search engine issue take care of itself. For instance, I would like to envision creating a line that would sell just as easily if I went shop to shop or opened a shop. With that said, I am still trolling the site as a new member to find out any and all marketing ideas.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
WhyNot said:
With that said, I am still trolling the site as a new member to find out any and all marketing ideas.
Hopefully that's trolling (i.e. trawling) and not trolling ;)

(the word has extremely different connotations on a message board or newsgroup)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts