T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for my first press, but I have a few questions that I would like to ask to the gurus that roam these forums.

Initial info:

Looking to get at least a 16x20
Mostly looking at either Hotronix Draw or Swinger or a Geo Swinger.
Interested in tshirts and possibly sweatshirts
Not really interested in mugs, tiles, mousepads or hats.

Initially I was thinking of getting a swinger because they seem to be the best all purpose presses to get into - just in case I get orders for the stuff that I am not so interested in (I hate to turn down work). Also, I like that you can stand directly over the bottom plate of a swinger to line up designs. Then I started to think that I really only want to do shirts and long sleeves, possibly sweatshirts. I started thinking it might be a good idea to get a press with auto open, just in case "life" happens. I didn't see any swingers that had an auto open (that was not run on air). Also I had concerns that if a swinger did have auto-open, would it hover over the design and possibly mess it up?

My questions for the gurus:

Do manual swingers auto-open?
If so, do they only lift off, or do they lift and swing away?
Would a clam with auto-open fit my purposes better?

Sorry if the questions are vague - I'm new to this tshirt industry and want to make a purchasing decision with the most information I can.

Looking forward to your input and thank you for your time.

Thanks
J

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Initial info:

Looking to get at least a 16x20
Mostly looking at either Hotronix Draw or Swinger or a Geo Swinger.
Interested in tshirts and possibly sweatshirts
Not really interested in mugs, tiles, mousepads or hats.
Great choice......either of the three would be a great press.

My questions for the gurus:

Do manual swingers auto-open?
If so, do they only lift off, or do they lift and swing away?
Would a clam with auto-open fit my purposes better?
Manual swingers do not auto open, and auto open swingers do not auto swing. As to the clam style press with auto open fit your purposes? I would say that there are more clam style presses in use in the garment decorating business than any other type. JMHO

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see that most people get the clam press and seem very happy with them. My main concern with clam shells is the design shifting on sweatshirts when bringing the top down. Is this really a concern, or would the shifting only really happen with tiles and similar items?

The tiles/mousepads/puzzles/hats seem like such a niche. It seems to make sense for larger, more well established shops to get into those applications because they are better able to absorb the financial hit.

Thanks for the input...

·
Registered
2,497 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, I saw those, but then I lose the auto-open feature. I can get pretty busy running around, and I would hate to ruin a design, a shirt or even a press because I left it down and something came up that I had to run after. Things happen.

Thanks for the great insight - I very much appreciate it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts