T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An article by Ronda Levine mentions that Inkscape file size is smaller then Adobe Illustrators unless you convert Adobe illustrators to "save for the web". I do not understand the implications of this information. Does it mean Inkscape's image is of a lower quality then AI? When you convert AI image to "save for the web", does the quality of the image suffer? If it does not, then why do they give these options?

I plan to make silk screen t-shirts, posters, etc.
The art work I plan on making is mostly line art, but some images have several colors. Since I am not doing work for others, I do not need a brand name product if that is a concern in those situations. I use a Mac. I currently care about the quality of image above all else. Do you think inkscape or another freeware program will fit my needs?

Thanks.

· Registered
534 Posts
inkscape and illustrator are both used to create vector graphics. a vector graphic does not rely on resolution, so one vector graphic could not be "lower quality" than another vector graphic just because it comes from a different program. if you are making vector line art for printing, you should have no reason to use the "save for web" feature unless you plan on saving (for example) a jpg for a proof to send to someone or to make other web safe graphics. you would not use the "save for web" feature to create something for print.

if you need only simple vector graphics, then inkscape should be an ideal program for you to use.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.