T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I am just starting but I'm on my own, in a studio without instructors. I have 2 questions:
1_How do you make the ink thinner?
2_I also printed red on dark blue fabric and it came out a dull dark brown. How do you fix this?
txs,
Juan Jones

·
Registered
23 Posts
Juan,
Most ink manufacturers sell a reducer to thin out inks. Check the supplier who sold you the ink.

In regards to printing red on the dark shirts, you can do two things.

You could setup another screen to print a base coat of white as an underlay.

or

You could flash cure the red before putting down the second coat.

In either case I would flash cure the underlay.

cotton

·
Registered
123 Posts
Reducer will help if the ink is too thick prior to use. Don't use too much. It is usually about 5% of the amount you plan to use. If the ink is too thick on the shirt you need to check a few things:
(1) OFF CONTACT SETTING
(2) SQUEEGEE ANGLE / HARDNESS
(3) SCREEN MESH (I USE 125 FOR MOST JOBS, BUT CHANGE BASED ON THE ART, INK AND MATERIAL REQUIREMENTS

You need to use a high opacity ink or print a light color base in order to get bright color on dark fabric. Flashing is also required. Check with your ink manufacturer for their list of high opacity ink. I prefer this for most jobs instead of printing a base

·
Registered
71 Posts
Also, are you stirring your ink? Some inks need to be stirred about 10 minutes before you put it your screen. If the ink is still to thick then add reducer...make sure it is a currable reducer.

And as mentioned above you need to use a under base or Print-Flash-Print the red.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Good questions and answers, now when I have this problem I'll know what to do!
Question about drying: how long should I wait for my designs to dry before I remove them and hang them up? I don't want the ink to run.
I really need to know this before I begin.
Also I need some operation instruction to do the job right.

·
Registered
36 Posts
pastol inks have to be heat to dry 320 degrees you can use a heat gun or a heat press for about 30 to 40 seconds to cure them you might be able to do it with water based too BUT I DONT KNOW FOR SURE i see u tube hanging them to dry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts