T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
8,278 Posts
Hi

what is better for film positves, inkjet or laser? I have tried both and never seem to get a dark enough positve. Any help is appreciated and models that work best

Thanks
Ink jet is easier to manipulate for a darker positive IMO. Laser there is a toner enhancer that stuff stinks and can't be good for you. What inkjet are you trying, graphics program, and what film waterproof or not. Some of this info will help to guide you to some darker films

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have tried casey film and the toner enhancer, vellum, on a brothers and and hp laser. I also have used an hp deskjet with 100% cymk on both tranparencies, regular inkjet film. everytime if you hold it to a window or light you can see through it. sometimes i will double it to get it dark enough to burn. Otherwise it will burn through and I do not get a good clean out on my screen. It get old reburning screens and never knowing if this one is going to work or not.

· Registered
2,132 Posts
Remember, it's how much UV goes through your positive area that matters--it's easy to see through amberlith, but it burns excellent screens.

Inkjets can make positives that block more UV than lasers--but if you're doing lots of short runs, or one offs, a laser will be more economical--+1 Sben on the 'toner enhancers' they are nasty stuff--I take Red514's advice and run mine through the dryer. Not quite as dark, but IMHO worth the tradeoff for the reduction in stinky braindeath...

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know it how much uv gets through, I just can not seem to block enough of it. I do, do alot of short runs and one off type jobs. I have tried using a heat gun to darken the toner but apparently hp changed the formula and it does do fill in. Is there another type or brand of laser that works, also none of the new ones that I have found will do post scipt. I bought one a Brothers that said postscprit but it is fixed you can not control the half tones with Corel or Illustrator with it. It seems like a never ending battle.

· Registered
2,132 Posts
I've used more than a couple HP 4V/4MV's--the 4MV should have postscript installed factory, the 4V you can get a postscript card for. There's a bias control inside the printer next to the toner cartridge that you can control the amount of toner that transfers--but you still need a decent cartridge, and not many people are carrying them anymore.

Xante's SW3 had the same engine--if it's worth the money upfront, they're making a newer model as well. I've never had great luck with their registration (on an older one,) but someone else on the forum mentioned theirs was great. Might be worth checking out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.