T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone...I'm trying to cut cost with ink for the Gt 541..Currently, ink cost $200 a cartridge...Is there an ink company that sells brother ink less??
Any info would be helpful!
Thanks
Johanna

·
Registered
2 Posts
No, the Brother ink is not being sold cheaper anywhere else. The only way you can save a little money is by purchasing the 500 ml cartridge which costs $350.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Get this:

Brother Ink: 500 ml = $300.
This equals $600/Litre which equals $2272/Gallon

Compare this to:
DTG Ink: 500 ml = $140.
This equals $280/Litre which equals $1060/Gallon

Kornit Ink: 500 ml = $90.
This equals $180/Litre which equals $681/Gallon

Water Based 4C Process Silkscreen Ink $43.99/Gallon

WTF?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Get this:

Compare this to:

WTF?
I would love for inks to be cheaper but you can always try to run any other inkset through your printer, somehow I doubt it would work, but who knows!. It is true that if ink is your main concern forget about Digital,a screen when it clogs, is cheaper to replace.

Following on your analogy:

White water based Wall paint €12.00/gallon

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Get this:

Compare this to:

WTF?
Brother inks are almost twice as thick as Dupount ink which means less ink needed for coverage on shirt, same goes for Kornit.

I get good deal on ink but no 300bucks...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Dont take a Distributors, either Brother ink distributor or Sawgrass dealer, opinion on this matter talk to actual users of both ink sets. That is the best and least biased answer.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Brother inks are almost twice as thick as Dupount ink which means less ink needed for coverage on shirt, same goes for Kornit.
Having owned a Kornit, as well as a Dupont ink based printer, I would say that the Kornit ink did not have much higher yield, as far as coverage is concerned. It is difficult to really say, however, since we were often doing 2-3 passes of white to get a decent white base (Kornit); since we were doing this to compensate for banding and other issues, rather than lack of ink opacity, I don't know if we would have been able to get by with much less ink, if everything had worked properly (when compared to the Dupont inks, with which I can always get a fantastic white layer in only one pass, without puddling).

Just an observation! Although yes, the ink certainly has a much higher viscosity rating, and therefore your logic seems sound. You also have to take into consideration ink pigment, which might be brighter in one ink than another (allowing a better base with less ink, for instance).

·
Registered
337 Posts
Which some people don't recommend. We have customers that use the ink and it works for them. Like almost everything else it's a matter of opinion.
Sorry to say but as far users go, I cannot recall a single user that has had satisfactory lasting results with this aftermarket ink, If memory serves me right, secondary effects include banding, head replacement and cursing.

Jokes apart we ( brother users in this forum) have been clamoring for user samples and first hand satisfactory experiences on this inks and so far 0, zip, nada. This debate is still open, but seeing some dsitributors dropping the product and the few users who have tried them, advising not to use them, does not give me a warm feeling about spending 50 bucks less when it might end up costing me a 1000 for a new head ( and most users in this forum would jump in , eyes closed, if a cheaper reliable ink was made available). If sawgrass was serious about it and did stand behind their product they would guarantee a head refurbishing or replacement ( although this is very tricky since who knows how many people would buy the inks just to claim a new head). Some sort of warranty would help develop trust.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I got samples from 782 with single and double pass and both looked great

The prints were actually super soft, felt like was part of shirt, said they used parment paper and hear press, def. alot softer than dupount inks because I got samples from those and they sucked

Excited to get big boy this fall : )

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
There is no savings when you buy the big carts, it will equal in costing same.
I aint against third party inks, I use 3rd party inks in my Roland which are far superior to OEM with zero issues and great savings, but problem with Brother machine is that it aint like every other machine which is hacked together home printer.

I always thought of sawgrass products as junk to begin with Ha

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yeah I really do like the quality and ultra soft feel of the Brother 782 prints.

In reality though, THE INK COST HAS BEEN THE #1 ISSUE (besides the $70K quote at ISS) keeping me from buying the 782... Which is why I am contract printing my new shirts on one...

The Epson DTG Prints are not so bad tho. The Epson DTG Test Prints I've done actually do look more like the Gorgeous Museum Quality Epson Giclees I publish with beautiful color, tone, resolution and detail... The hand is about as soft as the Brother Prints, but a little strechier... The Epson are definitely "prettier" than the Brother Prints, which look more "silkscreened"...

Ultimately tho, I AM trying to match the silkscreen look, feel and cost, on a T-Shirt... all without having to commit to 300 minimum prints per design, with $30 per color film and screen charges... This is why I've done about 1000 black shirts on the Brother 782.

The Brother DTG Ink Costs definitely do have to come down.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Ok if you brag about doing tons of shirt than:

A- Cost of a machine shouldn't be a concern

B- Ink cost to high? In reality it might cost on "average" $75cent more than dupount inks, I know some smart a$$ will crash this party and say it $3more -"yea ok sure"

C- Muesum prints on shirts, uh come on dude, its a frgg*n shirt, this is in no way fine art printing which "I Done" for 5 years for many high end artist over the years, FYI They loved quality of Brother prints of their art on shirts : )

"Yea Epson make great fine art prints, I don't think Epson ever though of using there machines for DTG, "if" they did than, why don't they co-op witha DTG manufuar to produce a head made specifically for shirts, like they done with solvent printing industry

D- So you wanna compare a piece of crap Epson based machine that cost what? $3 to 5k MAX to produce and you wanna say that it is gonna be a volume printing machine Bahahahahaha.

E- Speed, Brother kicks but at printing 1-2min compared to 5 min for alot of other machines, curing 35 sec to 3:30 min - Add up the cost of electricity over the years and see at end of day how much you really are saving.

I received Brother samples and was blown away how soft they felt compared to Epson prints which felt soooooo sh*tty and stiff, also singler pass prints were outstanding for what it is - zero banding, whites still popped.
I will save someone saying, following, "oh you can buy 3 DTG for one Brother and will be even faster or DTG can have a soft feel too, or I wanna go run in bathroom and CRY because I spent 10 cents more for ink and I can't buy taffy at the candy store.

There, hope this puts an end on people bickering all day about this crap : )
I feel like I am back in HS and listening to little school girls crying over a pimple on their nose, just remember at end of the day you ain't comparing apples to apples

Building a good business should be based on, getting best possible machine first, worrying about cost later,
you ever see a high yielding printer company using 50 $600 Epson's to print all there fliers?
In my opinion you saying samething about a regular "modified Epson" to a Brother.

Either your buying a toy, which is as impressive as a Pinto or a work horse like a Catipillar made outta steel not plastic : )

·
Registered
804 Posts
you ever see a high yielding printer company using 50 $600 Epson's to print all there fliers?
If you change the price to a lot higher number, and "fliers" to "t-shirts", then yes, I have seen a high yielding printer company do that kind of output.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
True but, you than need to add variables like:

A fleet of heat presses/cost of electricity

Extra employee to pay to have a team action

Maintenance can be higher for large runs on Epson

·
Registered
424 Posts
I think its is well known that there are some DTG POD companies that use Epson based products. It should also be known that some large shops don't have just one brand of DTG printer.

There must be something to be said for both solutions if the higher ink cost of the Brother can still compete at that level of production against multiple Epson based machines.

To respond to the OP, not going to find much of a discount if any on Brother inks. A 500cc CMY Brother cart will cost $350.00 before shipping. A Sawgrass 220cc cart will cost $150.00 making 440cc of CMY ink $300.00 from Sawgrass. Unless there is some compelling reason that can be shown in the prints and wash tests, I personally wouldn't load my printer with 3rd party inks just for the hassles that might arise when using $1,000 print heads to save so little. Black ink is $330.00 from Brother for 500cc making the price difference even smaller for black ink.

Once you start purchasing the larger carts, the price difference doesn't make it seem like such a bargain to use the Sawgrass product.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts