T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently did a few test shirts using 110-mesh screen. However, it seems like the ink is a little thick which caused me to press the squeegee down pretty hard, touching the shirt. It seems like the print result is a bit thick, which I'm not sure if it's because of the mess count, me being too hard on the squeegee pressing it down, or because of the thickness of the ink. I'm taking a wild guess at the thickness of the ink, since it will be much easier for me to try to dilute it. Is that a good idea, and if yes, how should I go about in doing it? TIA :D

·
Registered
382 Posts
A 110 mesh will allow more ink through so you don't have to press as hard. If you went a higher mesh count for the stencil then you'd have to press harder to get a thicker coat of ink. You might want to try a lighter run and see if that helps.

I haven't diluted any ink yet so not sure the best way to go about that.

·
Registered
227 Posts
One of the varibles I hardley see mentioned is the area mass of the print...example I recently did a print of some very large wide lettering alomost and inch thick letters..... it was a large print 16x16 with these massave letters... made first screen on 110 it soaked the Tee with ink... had to reburn on 158 the pure mass and thickness of the letters allowed way too much ink thru the first time.... .... Chuck

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Squirts, so you think the mesh count controls the thickness of the print, given everything else is equal? I'll probably get some 158-mess screens because my prints are coming out a little too thick for my taste, with 110-mess. I feels much thicker than vinyl press, which is about the same thickness that I'm trying to get my screen prints to be at.

Oh, one particular area of the graphic is about 3"wide and 4" tall. That probably contributed to the "thick" feel.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
I would not reccomend modifing white inks unless your printing simulated process or any specialty type printing methods. Mesh counts will allow more or less ink through the screen as well as holding more or less detail in the art. Im taking a guess but it sounds like your off contact is the culprit. The higher the screen is from the platen/shirt the more ink will be deposited. The best way to get proper off contact is - general rule of thumb
the screen should peel off the shirt about one to one and a half inch behind the squeegee while pulling or pushing.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Vtec44 said:
Squirts, so you think the mesh count controls the thickness of the print, given everything else is equal? I'll probably get some 158-mess screens because my prints are coming out a little too thick for my taste, with 110-mess.
I would check the Off Contact first as Fluid Said..... Then if its still too thick for you your next opetion is higher mesh count..... Good Luck.. ..Chuck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts