T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just when I thought I had things under control, I washed a couple of white t-shirts (all cotton) that had photographs transferred on them just to see how they'd hold up.

After 48 hours of the transfer I washed 'em inside out in cold water, put in the dryer at low heat right way.

Once dried, I noticed some faint ink stains on some of the shirts---not even close the transfer image.

What the heck is going on?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm using an Epson Photo Stylus 820 printer with whatever type of ink comes in the Espon cartridges. With Jet Light paper.

Since my transfers are generally photographs, my print settings are Best Photo on matte paper.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Enen though you are doing pictures you not making paper photos. You may put too much ink on at that setting. I use text/photo and they come out grat. Unless you printer has the durabrite symble on it it is not using pigment ink. so check, it may be problem.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Re: Ink Stains!!! Your Epson 820 Ink

From specs on Epson website, I gather your 820 uses dye inks. Suggest you switch to pigment inks for your printer as the Epson OEM Durabrite pigment inks are not for your model. I'm using Magic Mix from personalized supplies. Will be trying MIS from inksupply later on an older Epson 880 or my other Epson 900.

Other companies with pigment ink if you are willing to go bulk ink (CIS).

For dye inks, I am reading that the ink bleeding only happens once and then image will be slightly faded but okay.

In the past, I would print with dye ink (gifts for friends) and follow the transfer paper suggestion to soak/set transfer with vinegar/water. Pull out a handwash tub and do this with your next shirt. See if anything bleeds after setting with vinegar/water.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts