T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, let me preface this by explaining I have a ton of experience in offset printing, 4/C process, etc. I'm new to screen printing, however.

When a customer asks for shirts with a specific color, do you typically mix your ink to achieve the color or do you order the color pre-mixed to that color? What's the most cost effective option for someone like myself just getting started? Do I keep Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black on hand and mix the inks myself? Are their places you can just order the color you want based on a pantone number?

Finally, is there a screenprinting book you might suggest? Something in depth that I could keep on hand as a reference, rather than just a starter book that explains what a screen is. :)

Thanks so much!
Jeff

· Registered
285 Posts
How to print shirts for fun and profit by Scott Fresener was my bible when starting.

On the ink.... I do already have inks and then mix something close. I have about 40 different colors so I mix them up and find something that works. If you order Pantone inks they will get expensive quick. Basically whatever Is ok with your customer

· Registered
395 Posts
this gets a little spendy but when a customer needs a exact color and they supply a number then this is what I've used International Coatings . there are actual kits that you can buy to mix your own colors too. and one more thing allot of screen printing shops will charge a "custom color mix fee " so if you did do that and order the ink pre-mixed then you "break even " on the cost of the custom color

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.