T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long can you plastisol ink on your screen for? We have around 65 designs and print each one every 1-3 days. We currently yse water based ink and spray them off after every use. We are looking for a way to not have to wash them all the time. We would keep them in a sealed storage shelf away from anything too warm or cold.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Cool. I seldom meet anyone as crazy as me :p
I have about 100 screens that I "Screen Print On Demand" with water based.

My understanding is that you can leave it indefinitely, but I don't actually know, having never used Plastisol myself. Assuming one can indeed leave it on the screen, I would think the main concern would be dust, dirt, bugs, and lint settling out of the air onto the ink. I'm curious to see what the certified Plastisol gurus have to say.

Hmmm, how are you printing your mugs? Those are a fairly new addition for me, and I've just been outsourcing them to a POD. Haven't convinced myself that the difference in profit would be worth the bother of doing it myself ... though I would certainly appreciate the absolute control over quality, as I have with the shirt prints.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was under the impression (Ha! Get it?) you could leave plastisol in a screen essentially forever. For instance, I have a screen in my carousel that's been up since 2013 at least. I mean, it's completely time to replace the screen but that's because the tape adhesive has melted off and I had to re-tape it a few times and the stencil is starting to wear a little thin but in all honesty, you could use the same screen for a decade without any serious issues as long as you don't use harsh cleaners or anything like that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It depends on how many prints you make, I have screens for about 6 - 8 years and printed 1000 pcs during the years in batches of usually 25/50 pcs. The plastisol won’t dry in, as mentioned by NoXid the only problem is dirt and dust in the air. After a 1000 prints and a couple of years the emulsion will tear down. It saves me cleaning about 20 screens a week.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I leave plastisol in my screens for years. I agree, The biggest issue is dust and lint getting on the screen. But if they are out of the way staying clean, you can leave plastisol in your screens forever.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Plastisol will not dry.
It is a mixture of practically inert PVC powder, and oil (the plasticizer) that will take ages to oxidize.
It will eventually do so and the mixture will harden, but it's a really slow process, and you will still be able to remove it and clear the screen.
Another thing that will happen much sooner is that the oil will leak/separate. This is the reason you have to steer your ink before using it.
Things that may speed up the degradation are heat, light, and air pollution.

I have a lot of small wooden screens I only use 2 or 3 times every year.
Some of these screens are over 8 years old, but the designs on them never change, so there is no point re-doing them.
Once I'm done with them, I recover most of the ink with a spatula, and then store them.
Next time I need them again I simply add some fresh plastisol, do a few print strokes over a piece of copy paper, and then wipe the print side with some mineral spirit.
Boom! The screens are ready to ready to use again in less than a minute.
The print strokes take care of mixing the old plastisol with the fresh one, and only a tiny amount of ink goes to waste.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts