T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have an old Xante Laser printer we use for film. It is dying and we are considering an ink jet. But I have to know what we are getting into. What is the general image quality difference between inkjet and Laserprint? More or less ink splatter? Dot shape? ( we use square stochastic dots)

The Epson 3000 is a venerable printer but parts will be discontinued in 3+ years and I am not sure I want this to be a short term solution. So the 4000 - 4880 are my next choices. I have been told that the 4xxx series does not lay down as dense an image. Also that Ultrachrome inks do not block as much UV. What can I expect for a film density? What are the ink options? Can you run dye based film inks in them or are there special pigment formulations out there? I heard that the 4880 is an Epson ink only machine.

I like the kimoto laser film. Is their Inkjet film any good.

Lastly, what is considered the best value in RIP software for the Mac.

Peace and grace,
Thomas

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
The 4800 will accept third party inks. It is not as dense black as the 3000, but I have had no problems getting excellent opacity and burning excellent halftone screens- especially with dual cure emulsion. Fast Rip, Accurip, and comparable rips work great from what I hear, although there are workarounds if you need to print halftones- and not needed if you don't.
The 4800 is maybe 4 or more times as fast as my old 3000. The resolution and detail and sharp edge definition is excellent, as well as halftone definition.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you print 720 or 1440? About how long does a 12x16 in image take to print at that resolution.

Also what are the ink costs and waste associated with using color printer for just printing B&W. What can I expect.

Peace and Grace,
Thomas

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you wouldn't be be able to give me a density on those 4800 films, would you. My boss has heard that people are switching back to the 3000 because it is darker. Our film now is just over 2.0 barely the minimum.

Thanks
Thomas

PS we have a line on a 4000 for $850. It has not been used for a while so the inks are out of date but it was cleaned and purged before storing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts