T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of the garments we put graphics on are 100% Polyester Moister Wicking material. Only 2 DTG printer companies claim to print on Poly = Anajet and Kornit. Has any one tried using Kornits ink on another printer? (Epson printers or Brother) or are the PolyBright inks from Dupont being sold for other machines? The Mod-2 could be set up with both types of ink. I look forward to hearing from the Forum.

·
Registered
424 Posts
There is a pretreatment for Brother inks at DTG Pretreat – CMYK Pretreat for Polyester, Blends and Cotton Garments that will allow you to print directly onto 100% poly.

We've tested it and it works, you just need to test the garments with wash tests to see how the garment will take to the process; same as printing DTG on any garment really.

We prefer it as we no longer need to maintain 2 sets of inks and 2 printers to print on cotton and poly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip, my salesmen from Brother said their machine could print on 100% poly but their web site does not confirm that. I now understand why, pretreatment made by another company. I would like to see the Mod-2 set up with both types of inks (for cotton and for Poly), maybe down the road. It would also be great if Kornits inks and pretreatment would be tried with Epson printers.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Thanks for the tip, my salesmen from Brother said their machine could print on 100% poly but their web site does not confirm that. I now understand why, pretreatment made by another company. I would like to see the Mod-2 set up with both types of inks (for cotton and for Poly), maybe down the road. It would also be great if Kornits inks and pretreatment would be tried with Epson printers.
Kornit and Brother inks are of a different viscosity than inks that can jet through epson heads. People have tried crossing inks, the hardware is just not compatable. The pretreament is the best option. No need to stock and switch inks.

Ian

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
It would also be great if Kornits inks and pretreatment would be tried with Epson printers.
Been there, done that over 3 years ago... and it was not pretty on the Epson print head. Here is some quick numbers that I have been told. When comparing the viscocity of the different inks (which have to match up to the print head that is being used to fire the inks out), here are the numbers.
- Epson / Dupont - 2.7
- Brother - 8.0
- Kornit - 12.0

I don't think this means necessarily that the Brother inks are 3 times thicker than the Epson / Dupont inks... but the extra viscocity will certainly clog your print heads. A similar issue (ink just drips out) has happen when you try to put the thinner inks into the print heads for higher viscocity print heads. This is why the viscocity of the ink must match the print heads being used.

Most of the people that I talked to preferred not to have two separate ink sets (and possibly two different printers to maintain) to have the ability to print on to 100% poly and blend (70 poly/30 spandex, 50/50,...) garments. That is why we worked on creating a simply pretreatment that can open the doors to doing this type of work. As mentioned above, I strongly encourage people to do wash tests on any garments before they go into production. So I even created a wash test log that can be used to track the testing - DTG Pretreat – CMYK Pretreat for Polyester, Blends and Cotton Garments Print & Wash Test.

Hope this information helps you. Best wishes,

Mark

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your aswers.

The only one of my questions not aswered is the Mod-2 using inks for cotton garments and Polyester garments. I am assuming the Polybright ink is made by Dupont which DAGUIDE made the same assumption Oct 2, 2008 (Re: Any problems with Anajet). The last question is WHY IS ANAJET THE ONLY PRINTER Epson MANUFACTURER USING poly inks? I have samples of Anajet and will soon have samples from Kornit using the same graphic for both types of garments. I will do wash test and put pictures on this forum.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
The special inks being sold by Anajet for polyester garments is NOT Dupont inks. I know that Dupont looked at several different options for printing on to polyester and never really found a solution that they really liked enough to bring to market. So this ink set comes from another manufacturer.

You should contact Belquette directly to see what they are recommending for printing on to polyester garments.

Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts