T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have just started a screenprinting business and have been practicing. I am having a problem with white ink on black shirts. After about a dozen washes, the ink starts to crack. I am doing a double hit of ink with a flash in between and cured properly in conveyer dryer. I am using QCM Best White. Any suggestions what might be causing this? Or is it the shirt shrinking and not the ink? Any suggestions on how to prevent this from happening would be helpful!
Thanks!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would guess most of the shirts i own printed with plastisol do this after a dozen washes. You could try a longer cure, adding more layers will just make things worse if im not mistaken.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Sounds like it wasn't cured enough.
Also possible that when you flash after the first pass of white, you're flashing too long.
Then, when you're printing the next layer, it's not going to bond properly.
Definitely sounds like you're not fully curing. Remember the ink needs to reach full curing temp 320 degrees, all through the ink layers. And, if you're laying down a lot of ink, say with a 110 mesh for example, you are laying A LOT of ink on your shirts.
Use a temp gun and slow down your conveyor dryer belt.

·
Registered
19 Posts
How are you testing that the shirt is getting cured correctly? You can get temperature strips to test this and be sure. Like the previous poster said, it's curing related, either overcure of the base coat, or under curing the final print.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I agree ...undercured...I have shirts printed with white ink on black and have washed them 100's of times and the ink doesnt crack.....get a temp gun and be sure the ink is reaching 320 degrees.

Inked

1 - 5 of 5 Posts