T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up my order of shirts (144) that were printed with plastisol and a quick look through them on the outer edges toward the sides of the shirts have small cracks on them. Then I wore one of these shirts the next day and within 15 of normal wear it started cracking toward the middle of the shirt. I have since worn a handful of these shirts and all of them are cracking. I have washed a few of these one time and they are cracking even worse.

So My question is, is this what to expect from a reputable screen printer? At what point do you say this is to much and something needs to be done?

I really wouldn't want to sell these as they will crack noticeably after one wearing of the shirt.

I can post pics of an unworn shirt to a shirt that has been worn once.

· Registered
870 Posts
They weren't cured right. Don't wear/wash any more of them. Bring them back to the printer and he needs to send them through the dryer again, this time at the right temp. This should Fix them. For the ones that are already messed up, he should replace them for you.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They weren't cured right. Don't wear/wash any more of them. Bring them back to the printer and he needs to send them through the dryer again, this time at the right temp. This should Fix them. For the ones that are already messed up, he should replace them for you.
thanks for the response. Should there be any sort of cracking? I mean is there a certain little bit of cracking that is normal coming straight from the printer? I wouldn't think there should be at all. The shirts look really nice, but that little bit of cracking is what i get after washing 20 times of other shirts ive purchased in the past.

· Registered
22 Posts
thanks for the response. Should there be any sort of cracking? I mean is there a certain little bit of cracking that is normal coming straight from the printer? I wouldn't think there should be at all. The shirts look really nice, but that little bit of cracking is what i get after washing 20 times of other shirts ive purchased in the past.
If the ink printed on your fabric is Plastisol, sooner or later the print will crack little by little. Like with your 20 washings, it will really start to crack. That's the disadvantage of plastisol. That's normal.

· Registered
138 Posts
The first job i did tha ti got paid for called me one day and said he needs some more shirts. I said sure, come by the shop. Since i didnt have his art work anymore i said bring a shirt with you. The shirts i printed were black with white ink. The one he brought me was a light gray color with white ink. He washed and wore it so many times it faded like you wouldnt believe. Ive never seen a balck shirt get THAT gray from washing. One look at the print and i was stunned at how well it held up to what appeared to be one wash a week for a few years. It does have some cracking on the edges, but with that much washing and drying its done very well.

That being said, i did a job last week that was under cured and the ink is coming off :-( Now i gotta replace a bunch (dunno how many yet) and its my own dumb fault. I usually use a laser temp gun, but I think I started a stopped the dryer a fe times oneday and never waited for it to get fully heated back up in between stopages that day.

Like everyoen said....bring them back and have him run them thru again. he shoudl also jump at the chance to make things right between you so you dont ruin his name in the community. Its a mistake but his fault.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.