T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I understood through my reading online and on this forum, is that the FDA(I believe it was) requires that the shirt needs certain info either on the shirt, or in the tag that says where it was made, how to wash, dry, and the contents of the shirt. I've been seeing quite a few more underground companies, that are nation wide and quite popular that don't have all of this information. Am I missing something, or are they just violating this rule and its only a matter of time before they get fined.

I looked all over several garments for the info but found nothing in terms of how to wash or dry, and sometimes what the cotton/poly contents were. When I say nation wide I mean they are sold in a rather big and popular chain store, but I don't want to give out names.

·
Premium Member
2,957 Posts
It's the FTC (Federal Trade Commission), not the FDA (Food & Drug Administration).;)

I've noticed the same thing with brands in big box retail stores.

Really, it's just a matter of time, because they are certainly violating the law and there have been some very stiff penalties for violations.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
I see the same in Australia, even from some of our biggest national retailers.

The laws are in place. As Greg said, some people are certainly violating them. The penalties can be very stiff. What I don't know, is how often they're actually handed out. The examples given on the FTC's website are quite old and widely spaced - but that probably just indicates they don't update that kind of information very much.

The rules can sometimes get in the way of clean design, but ultimately they're not that onerous. Might as well stay on the right side of the law I think.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts