T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I've been printing for over a year now, and I feel like I'm currently being held back by my press. I just got done printing a three-color job that was less than satisfying due to my press's inability to maintain consistent registration from print to print.

I feel like it's probably time to upgrade, and I'm looking for some advice on what type of press to go for. My current press is a no-name 4/4...so I'm looking for at least a 4/4, if not a 4/6 or 6/6. I don't need any fancy bells and whistles, and I could certainly go for something used...just something that holds rock-solid registration. I need consistency and I'm sick of seeing inferior production and not being able to do anything about it.

Any ideas/opinions/options for an intermediate press upgrade would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

· Registered
1,093 Posts
M & R seem to be liked, but I checked one out at a show and couldn't believe how heavy it was to spin. Seems like overkill to me. I'm pretty small and can't imagine working on a machine that heavy all day, especially when a lot of flashing is needed.

I'd check out Riley Hopkins as well. They seem to be well loved by owners. They're nice and light to spin too.

· Registered
1,195 Posts
theres always exceptions, but i would much rather have side clamps than not, especially if your going the cheaper route. im sure your sidewinder is probably better than some cheaper machines with side clamps, theres always those exceptions.

side clamps are generally better at holding registration, thats not to say that a back clamp system wont hold. but if you have done any research you will see what im talking about. my opnion, not trying to step on any toes. this is from personal experiance, i will never by a rear clamp system agian. not worth the risk, unless maybe its from m&r, but even then i still think i would opt for a used side clamp than a new rear clamp press.

· Registered
837 Posts
M&R Chameleon or Sidewinder = bulletproof. They'll last you years with almost no maintenance whatsoever and the ROI can be realized in no time at all. Do consider a heavier press as it is the extra weight and metal that make it strong enough to hold registration as you want it to day in and day out... Side clamps are available for both of these as an option, we don't have them, never used them, and registration is fine without them...

· Registered
1,195 Posts
which auto are you looking at? i think the sportsman or gauntlett would be the way to go

ive been eyeballing the sportman. i thought about the diamond back, but i believe i read somewhere about limited print area. i was also looking at there new alpha 8, at least i think thats what it was called. its the one that is set up length wise rather than in a circle. i also heard that ones very expensive. im still doing, my research.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.