T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an industry standard for where the top of a graphic should be on the shirt? I have an order for cub scouts and I want to make sure I do it right. Can ya help a newbie out??

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Re: Industry Standards?

I've seen this as a guideline:

The center of images having a height of 6" or less are placed 5" down from the collar seam at vertical center.

The top of images exceeding 6" in height (like a full front print) are placed 2" down at vertical center.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks Rodney! This really helps. I am doing a cub scout shirt. Are these standards the same for youth? Also, is there a percentage to go by when resizing an graphic for youth shirts from an adult size? I appreciate your help!

Susan

·
Registered
1,907 Posts

I generally do about 4 fingers down from the color for an average-size print on an average-size shirt (Medium-Large). Move it up for a bigger print or smaller shirt; move it down for a bigger shirt or a smaller print.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks Twinge, but are you saying then two fingers for a youth shirt? These graphics have been scaled down for youth shirts.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Can someone tell me if there is a Left / Right standard measurement or guideline for chest logos and text. I just did my first shirt and I feel that the logo was a little too close to the underarm area.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts

Can someone tell me if there is a Left / Right standard measurement or guideline for chest logos and text.
For a front left chest logo placement, I've seen the center of the image placed 3.5" down from the collar seam and 3.5" from the vertical center.

I don't know if that's a standard or not though.

·
Registered
282 Posts

Twinge said:
I generally do about 4 fingers down from the color for an average-size print on an average-size shirt (Medium-Large). Move it up for a bigger print or smaller shirt; move it down for a bigger shirt or a smaller print.
I was taught that the hand rule (four fingers) works no matter the size of the shirt...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Yes, I did get a standard, but it wasn't right. Someone told me that if I drew a line from the underarm of the shirt toward the middle and another line from the outside edge of the collar at the shoulder down....
the place where these two lines intersect should be the outside edge of the print. I did that and it was way too low. I just did two orders with left chest prints and I think they both turned out pretty good. Here's what I did.

I stayed with the line from the outside of the collar straight down. BUT I didn't go from the bottom of the arm, I went from about one third of the way up from the underarm - or about two inches up. This should be your horizontal line. The vertical line should be the edge of your collar on the left side - right if you are looking at the shirt. Put one fourth to one third of your print overlapping the vertical line from the edge of the collar - depending on the size of the shirt. The three x shirts I did were about one quarter of an inch over away from the line because the area was so large. The small shirts I did were about one quarter of an inch the other way over the line because the shirts were so small.

I was informed by a national vendor that it is really what ever is visually pleasing because shirts had different collars and sleeves.

So far I haven't had any complaints!

I hope it works out well for you!

Virtuous 1

·
Registered
382 Posts

RAHchills said:
I was taught that the hand rule (four fingers) works no matter the size of the shirt...
Yep thats what I've heard and do myself. If you're doing a left chest print you usually find the center of the shirt then the outside image would be two fingers from the center.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts