T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
:(hi everybody, i am glad that i found this forum. i am new at formating for screen print, i created a file in indesign, is this going to be ok?
i am doing some pro bono work for my church for a fundraiser, this is going to jumpstart my design career in clothing, i am a graphic designer well student right now. ok
i mad original image in illustrator, cleaned it up in photoshop then transferred to indesign for text and i felt that it had better effects, well that i am more familiar with, it is one color black, on an ashphalt goldidan shirt
three of the images have a gradiant and two of those also have a directional feathering with a lowered opacity range.
the questions are as fallowed:
1. will i have problems with an indesign file and what is the best format, i run mac with all the adobes.
2. will i have a problem with the graants feathering and opacity and how do i transfer to the screen printer to get optimum results?

thank you very much for all your help

·
Registered
372 Posts
::You can work your artwork in InDesign, no problem. It is as good as adobe illustrator for vector artwork.
::Adobe on Mac or PC, you will be fine.
::You can achieve gradients, feathering and opacity on Photoshop, Illustrator & InDesign (but not limited to just this three programs, some other programs can too). But as you search through this forum, you'll find most screenprinters here would do these effects in Photoshop and Illustrator (including CorelDraw) because of settings and screen preferences.

search and read, you'll find lots of helpful information on this topic.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I agree with frankiko, have in mind that inDesign is a software created to do Magazine and Newspaper Layouts and some Vector work. You can't go wrong if you use Illustrator or Corel Draw; when I began with the Graphic Design I started using Corel Draw and FreeHand, there was no Illustrator back then, I use Mac too, and I love Illustrator as a Vector friendly software. Just try to get use to.

When working with rasterized images and need to apply some gradients or some layering opacity effects, you definitely need to go with Photoshop.

·
Registered
228 Posts
You can do your shirt work in indesign, just like you can lay a catalog out in illustrator or photoshop. That doesn't mean you should.

Indesign is a page layout program. It is nowhere near as feature rich as Illustrator for vector drawing.

I would suggest not using indesign. Not even for text. There is simply no need.

Stick to illustrator and photoshop for shirts. Indesign has no place in shirt design.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts