T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2.25"x1.75" photograph and would like to enlarge this photo to a 14"x10" size while maintaining the focus and sharpness. Is there a way to do this in Corel Draw or Photoshop, or is there any other software available where this can be done?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Do you know the resolution of this photograph? Sounds as if it is one that you downloaded or was created for the internet. If I had to guess, I would say it is 72dpi. There are a couple of software programs that can enlarge photos of poor resolution, but I doubt that you would get much of a usable photo with the best of them if it's low res.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have a 2.25"x1.75" photograph and would like to enlarge this photo to a 14"x10" size while maintaining the focus and sharpness. Is there a way to do this in Corel Draw or Photoshop, or is there any other software available where this can be done?
Short answer is no.
You may be able to increase the size and resample to a higher dpi.
The end result will be poor, not what you are looking for in regards to sharpness.
Having said that, it will only be poor when viewed up close. If viewed from a distance it will appear the same as original image...probably not what you want to do.

The further away someone will be when viewing an image the less the resolution needs to be for a given image size.

There is a formula somewhere, don't have it handy.
basically, it allows you to calculate the optimum viewing distance for a given resolution or vice versa.

That is why billboards are just dots when viewed up close but look great when driving down the road.

Same with your big plasma/lcd TV's. They are best viewed at a greater distance. get up close and you will see the pixels are huge compared to the monitor on your desk.
Same resolution 1080 pixels high, but individual pixel size is different.

·
Registered
996 Posts
You may be able to increase the size and then sharpen it in photoshop. As said in previous posts here that depending on your viewing pleasure, it may look ok from a distance but don't look for any real detail up close. Also what are your intentions for this photo? Silk screen, DTG, or transfer will effect the end result.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I need it for DTG. Making a banner. Actually they wanted it larger but my printer can only give a 14"x 16". I have tried converting it to a bitmap at 300dpi in Corel Draw then resizing. It's not so hot but at least it's not pixelated.
Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
175 Posts
you could always try printing the original small picture on your best photopaper then taking that print out and scanning it in (assuming you have a scanner) at a super high resolution then bring it back in to photoshop and scale it up a bit.. That has worked for me in the past.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I need it for DTG. Making a banner. Actually they wanted it larger but my printer can only give a 14"x 16". I have tried converting it to a bitmap at 300dpi in Corel Draw then resizing. It's not so hot but at least it's not pixelated.
Thanks for all your help.
I assumed it was a bitmap to begin with???? Duh If it was good enough to do that, why didn't you trace it and convert to a vector in Corel, then it could be a large as you need.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have downloaded the trial version of Genuine Fractals6. When I open cs2 I don't see it on my tool bar. How do I access the trial version in Photoshop cs2? It's supposed to allow me to do 20 photos before it expires.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have cs2. When I try to install the trial version it gives an error stating that it has failed to locate a compatible version of photoshop.
I don't know why? I have used my version of cs2 in the past and been able to work and print from it. Could it be that cs2 does'nt support this plug in?

·
Registered
31 Posts
you may increase the physical size of your image 10% more each time until you get the final size you want.

it is better than resize it in one shot.

cheers!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts