T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, our nightmare started 2 weeks ago. We were printing a job on black shirts. It was a simple white and grey design. The first 2 shirts printed fine. (Port Authority shirts)The third shirt started loosing color but since it was a different brand (Gildan) we thought that was the reason. but by the time we got to the 5th shirt it was barely printing. There was just a ghost image. We did a nozzle check and we only had black and magenta printing. we did a clean and then we had 2 whites and the black and cyan printing. Each cleaning and following nozzle check something different would not print. Never any consistant nozzle checks.

We pulled the printhead and discovered that the ribbon contacts had a little corrosion and after talking to the tigers had them send new ribbons & dampers. Replaced them and did several cleaning and got 2 good nozzle prints. Printed a test shirt and it looked Great.

Started a new job and 2 shirts into the job the prints started to fade out just as it had the week before. With inconsistant nozzle checks.

Called the tigers and we were told it was probably the capping station not making a good seal to pull a vacuum. Another tech got on later and said it was the printhead. They sent 'used' capping station and head for us to test.

Tried the capping station first and did a couple cleaning and then a nozzle check and had perfect test print. Did this 2 more times and each time had a perfect print. For this reason we did not try the printhead since everything was printing fine. No lost channels at all.

Now 1 day later, before printing on the customers shirts we did a test shirt. It started printing fine but before the shirt was done, once again lost the red and blue channels.

Called the tigers again and was now told we have to do a power clean. But we are low on ink and everyone on here says power cleans are a waste of ink. Are we wrong in feeling that doing a power clean won't fix our problem?

To me it doesn't sound like it is the printhead because nothing is consistant . Seems that if it was a clogged head then the colors wouldn't come and go. Does anyone have a clue as to what is wrong? We have purchased a spare 4880 for parts so if anyone has any idea what could be causing the sporatic printing I would love to hear it.

AA said we need to send the printer back but since we have had to turn away several jobs in the last 2 weeks we can't afford to ship the machine back, and really can't afford to drive 7 hours there to take it back.

Now on top of everything else we were replacing the cartridges of ink after shaking them and noticed a gold contact on the floor. It looks like the contact (I think there are 7 clips) have come out of the cyan contact area. (What makes contact with the chip on the cartridge) I tried to put the cyan back in and it won't go because the clips are hanging out. So now we have to flush the lines because we can't get to the contacts to replace them. How do you get those back in without taking the whole machine apart?

We are getting VERY frustrated. We have spent more in lease payments than we have made with all the issues.

· Premium Member
2,547 Posts
Some people are afraid of power cleans due to the amount of ink used. Ink pricing has gone down and the amount of down time chasing missing channels could easily be offset if a power clean fixes the problem. Don't be afraid of doing a power clean once in awhile if things aren't acting right. Check your humidity also..keep it above 50% 24/7.

· Registered
8,354 Posts
Sue,
I am so sorry you are having problems which could not solve with Tigers over the phone.
I am clear about what issue you are having. Instead of shipping back and forth. Can you drive up top Philly? I will ask fix all while you wait. I will not charge unless mis maintenance. Such as Printhead or etc. do not worry too much. I am at Orlando now. I will help you out.
Cheers! Inks are on me always.

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Peter,

Thank you. Yes, we hope to be able to take the machine up to Philly but it will be a week or so. Amanda's husband is recovering from surgery and we need to replace a tire on the car. But as soon as is possible we will schedule a trip.

Sue

Sue,
I am so sorry you are having problems which could not solve with Tigers over the phone.
I am clear about what issue you are having. Instead of shipping back and forth. Can you drive up top Philly? I will ask fix all while you wait. I will not charge unless mis maintenance. Such as Printhead or etc. do not worry too much. I am at Orlando now. I will help you out.

· Registered
8,354 Posts
That might be the issue NOT running often enough. Your daughter's health issue wasn't help. Please print few dark shirts everyday if you can. Make samples to advertise. I will see what I can do.
Make sure don't make situation worse than as now.
Cheers! Beers are on me always.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.